• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

:( dried eggs

Silvergrin

Well this is a real bummer. The past month has been really amazingly crazy for me, and I managed to forget the cardinal rule: IF YOUR FEMALE DOESN'T EAT PUT AN EGG BOX IN. Doesn't matter if it's "too early" "too late" or anything... egg box egg box egg box.

I am so crushed. I have a het butter mot that did hook up with a butter boy... about a month ago now, I guess. It didn't seem that long XP But usually my females are *going into* season now, not laying eggs! So I didn't really think about it. (note, I don't bru) Then at feeding time today, I find her on a pile of dessicated eggs. D: 10 "good" ones, and another 6 slugs. Uhg. I've put them in moss with water, but it really doesn't look good.

So I don't really have much hope, but if anyone has any stories of eggs that came "back from the brink", it'd be cool. :/

there was a story in the 2006 annual Reptiles magazine that said that that happened and they took one that was not so dried out and it is now compleately healthy, so dont lose hope

Well, I haven't begun breeding yet, but...

Okay, so I was sitting on my butt yesterday and watching one of those "Animal Cop" shows on animal planet. Anyway, one of the humane officers brought in a starved puppy that was so dead they couldn't even hear a heart-beat. They couldn't even tell if the little twitches it was making were post mordem or signs of life.

But they decided not to give up on the dog. They gave her fluids and put her on doggy CPR for like an HOUR and then they finally got a heart beat. And guess what? The puppy recovered and grew into a happy adult with no problems whatsoever.

So even though this is not a snake story, there is always hope! Life will find a way. Snakes have been around for millions of years, and they wouldn't have gotten this far if they didn't have a few tricks up their sleeves. So don't give up yet, and keep us posted!

:-offtopic: I can't watch those animal cop and animal rescue shows, they bring me to tears.

Anyway, I agree try to incubate the eggs anyway and prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. I've heard of dried up eggs going on to hatch before. I always incubate until I am positive the eggs are dead, and even then have been known to leave them in there as funky mold experimentation. I hope they aren't as dead as you think!

Thanks guys. I don't have much hope, but I do know that sometimes "life finds a way" And put them all in to incubate. We'll see.

In the wild, corn eggs have to be able to deal with a dry period. It's not going to be a great result, but keep your hopes up.

And I'd LOVE to see what you hatch out.

Silvergrin, DO NOT QUIT, carry on as if you are incubating good eggs.
One thing, watch out for making them too wet, overcompensating for the dryness could end up killing those still alive.

Ciao

I had a friend ask me last year if they could put their eggs in my incubator, as they thought their female corn was gravid and didn't have their own incubator. Of course I said yes because I had space.

When I got the phone call to say she'd laid I got an incubation box set up, expecting him to bring them over straight away!

Nearly 12 hours later they turned up and had spent all that time with the female on the UTH!! I personally didn't hold out much hope but incubated them anyway. I didn't overly wet the vermiculite (that's what I prefer using) and just left them alone.

Within a week they had plumped up considerably and of the 10 eggs laid 8 made it through incubation and hatched perfectly normal babies who went on to thrive!

So don't give up on them there eggs, cos you never know, some, if not all, may just make it!

Good luck and best wishes,

Well almost a month later and some of the eggs *did* plump all the way back up! I still have 8, although only about 3 look really healthy to me. One has a window and I can see some veins in there with the right lighting :) Fighting off some mould on a few... these ones don't look all that healthy but I figure it doesn't hurt to maintain them as long as I can.

Woot, really glad to hear to hear that!

Keep us posted on the outcome as well!

Good luck and best wishes,

Good news! Three eggs have been sitting around so long I thought they weren't going to do anything, but I left them to go at it. I mean, it'd been four months! :O But, I checked today and found two hatchlings! An amel and a cute caramel motley (of the dash-dot variety). The caramel actually just shed, too (I've been checking the box about once a week) and took a f/t pink! If it's a girl, I may keep her.

One egg unhatched! I hope it'll make it too, but I'm thrilled to have these two!

Since you asked for pics :)

2008JuneAmel1.jpg

2008JuneAmel2.jpg

2008JuneCaramel1.jpg

2008JuneCaramel2.jpg

The amel looks a little funny to me; wrinkly skin like it should have shed, but didn't. But it was in a moist eggbox before going to a baby box (which also has a cup full of moist moss). So I don't know, should I soak it anyway or just leave it be? Colors also look strange but I'm pretty sure it's an amel. Mom is pretty caramel'ish despite being het (here's a pic of her a few years ago)
candy20050324d.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
Back