• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dry/Moist

WingedWolf

I've noticed some threads about the moisture level in vermiculite, and I was wondering if any folks have used a water-based incubator like the one I'm planning to use this year (an aquarium heater under water inside a cooler, with the eggs in a container of vermiculite sitting on bricks above the water).

I know that some folks have used this type of incubator with desert reptiles, and placed the eggs in dry vermiculite, relying on the warm water in the incubator to provide adequate moisture. Will corn snake eggs require moistened vermiculite in this setup, and if so, should it be drier than normal, or have the same moisture content as if they were in a dry heat incubator? I am planning to leave more of the egg exposed, I figure that I can get away with this, and it will improve gas exchange.

I like to use a shoebox of Vermiculite (1:1 by weight with water) inside a sweater box with around a quarter inch of water in the bottom. The shoebox is on bottle caps or something to keep its bottom out of the water. The water keeps the air at close to 100% humidity, which extends the period before water needs to be added to the Vermiculite. Think of this as a high humidity chamber inside a dry air incubator.

I think that Vermiculite without water would be too dry for corn snake eggs, even in the setup you describe. If you decide to try it, I'd suggest putting a window of some sort in the container so that you can easily check the eggs for dehydration. Good luck.

Back