• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

duct tape disaster

doortech9

Access Systems Technician
So a girl friend of mine had repaired her snakes screen top with duct tape.... Needless to say the summer weather released it and she found her wrapped up in it after work and immediately brought her to me. I set out with a bottle of cooking oil, some qtips and some serious determination and within an hour or so had her released. She ripped a lot of skin off and wrecked some scales, but is an albino jungle so its hard to see the extent of the damage. She also seems to have some glue stuck on her, but after getting the tape off I decided to let her unwind a bit before doing any more. She is in my care at the moment, moved onto newspaper in a freshly sterilized tub, and is resting as we speak. What is the best course of action to keep her from getting any sort of rot/infection where her scales are exposed? I know that tape is the devil so please refrain from scolding me, I'm just trying to rehab a friends snake.

I cant offer a whole lot of help but I can always recommend the use of antibiotic ointment (without pain killers). Other than that I would apply all the basics, proper temps, newspaper/paper towel bedding, a water dish too small for the snake to get into, lowish humidity, that sort of thing.

You said that there was still glue on the snake? Is it residue or actual glue? Assuming its not a whole lot and its not causing any serious comfort issues for the snake, your best bet may be to leave it alone. With scale damage I wouldn't be surprised if he/she shed soon which should eliminate any other issues with the tape residue/glue.

Sorry I haven't gotten back with an update, its been pretty hectic around the household lately. She seems alright, its hard to tell how much damage there is due to her light coloration but I think that its nothing a few sheds won't remedy. We've given her some topical antiseptic ointment and sterilized her viv and given her some shredded newspaper so she can still burrow as she likes to. She has bEen moving around a lot more than usual, which bothers me a bit but the weather is really hot lately and we've had one hell of an electrical storm tonight so most of the snakes are out cruising. She's a really amazing little girl, I'll make her a thread once I can get some pictures of her. Thank you for the concern and quick advice :)

What a horrible week. After all the trouble with tape and ointment and fixing screen tops, I leave my house for one whole day and I come home to a trashed screen top. Needless to say my cats danced on top until it caved in . . .

Soooo now she's loose. No idea what time she escaped but she hasn't picked an easy hiding spoT. We checked all the obvious places but to no avail. Having two cats, it will be tough to bait her, as well as use many of the other tricks of finding a lost snake, so wish me luck.

Back