• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

duct tape woes ..

I love this forum, as it gives me something really (not) productive to do during my 12 hour desk shifts ... and also because it allows me share certain .. interesting experiences, like this one.

Being a first time and slightly naive snake owner, I figure that the best to cover up that little corner hole in the viv was to cover it really nicely with duct tape. Awesome! Only problem was .. I put it on the inside. :punch:

Which may have been totally fine. Except that my little guy found a way to get horribly horribly horribly horribly! stuck in it less than an hour later. What an awful experience that was. I felt terribly guilty and was near tears because I was soley responsible for this little one's life, and I'd had him for less than 12 hours and I thought I had badly injured him already. Ugh.
But, luckily, miraculously (he was REALLY stuck), I got him out and he was as patient and happy (maybe not TOO happy) as could be. Bless him for being such a timid little thing. Lesson learned though, WAY way learned.

Anyways, for anyone who's ever wondering, and maybe everyone already knows this, but vegetable oil works wonders for getting snakes loosened out of duct tape ..........

I had a similar incident back in March, but it was electrical tape. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the almighty cure-all, and had to use simple water and patience. He's got a pretty nasty scar, but he lived! But yeah, wish I'd been able to figure out the no-tape rule BEFORE it happened x3

Oh don't I know what duct tape on a snake is like :( I was sick trying work it off a snake that had escaped and somehow found a loose piece under the stand. I used olive oil, and he lost a couple scales, but after a shed you almost couldnt tell. Using less sticky white fabric tape anywhere near the vivs now!
Glad you could save your lil one!!

tape is evil! :( I had first hand bad experience with brown parcel tape, hopefully people reading this thread can learn from our stupidity/naivety and not make the same mistakes

When I was 8, my family was tearing up the backyard to put in a in ground spa. All the construction must have stirred up the critters in the yard, because my dad found a small (like 14-16") garter snake near the new pump and fliltration system. My dad caught it for us and mom found a box to temporarily put it in. My brother and I were in awe of this litte guy. We watched it slither around the bottom of the box. Our new friend slithered toward the center of the box and was stuck... his tail end was moving, his head swinging back and forth, but he wasn't going anywhere. The more we looked we noticed he was stuck to some tape at the bottom of the box! His thrashing made him become more stuck to the tape. This was devistating. My parents (who are clueless when it comes to reptiles) did what they thought was right and tried to pull the little snakie off. Well, it pulled off some of the garters belly scales. They went ahead and released him back into the yard. It was awful. We never saw the little bugger again.

Anyways, since that incident at such a young age I learned
Tape and snakes :nope:
Tape and reptiles :nope:
Putting a snake in a box with tape on the bottom :nope:

However, Duct tape will fix just about everything, except for reptiles

Attachments

• duct-tape-use.jpg
    duct-tape-use.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 106
I have never had a problem with snakes and tape. Hopefully I dont, but thanks for the advice. Good thing you got the snake out of the tape. It sounded like it hurt.

Well I'm very glad you were able to get him loose from the duct tape...I can only imagine what a stressful experience that was for both you and the snake. Thankfully I haven't had an experience like that, and I pray I never do. I'll keep the vegetable oil in mind though just in case ;)

Haha, I love that picture. It can fix almost everything! Which is why I was so quick to reach for it for the corner hole problem. I found myself some nice big bricks instead. I don't think it hurt him too much though, no scales came off, and I didn't pull on him at all to get him loose. I sent my sister online for a quick Google search, and she noticed that the veggie oil was quite common for getting duct tape off of (people) skin. Thank goodness it works for snakes too!

Thanks for sharing all of those stories, it makes me feel a lot better!

Back