• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eating Concerns & Skipped Shedding

MyLittleGuyCyrus

Hi All!

I am a bit concerned about Cyrus! His eating is very weird.....he used to eat a pink every 5 days with much enthusiasim, same thing when I moved him to 2 pinks. When I switched him to fuzzies he wouldn't eat them, so I would cave and give him pinks (again, eatling well). Then one day he finally ate a fuzzy for me, but has refused them since. I decided to just give him the pinks until they are gone. Ever since eating that one fuzzy things changed....

Now, he eats 2 pinks. Then on his next feed he will only eat 1 and then only 1 again on the next feed. After those two feeds he will again eat 2 and then the cycle continues....1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2 and so on.

At first I wasn't to concerned, I figured, "He's eating and is acting normal" Well, he always sheds for me once a month. He starts getting dull around the 20th or so and then has shed for me by the end of the month. The problem is he skipped March and I don't see that he is starting to dull like usual.

Is this typical for a 7 1/2 month old snake? Nothing has changed with my husbandry.....should I not worry because he is eating and I am just a "helicopter" mom?

THANKS!

Some snakes just won't eat multiples at all, and some will eat multiples just some of the time. I wouldn't worry about that. Some snakes are funny about the size of their prey, but it seems to happen more often with kingsnakes. I have a few that would way rather eat three fuzzies than a weanling or adult mouse, even though they can and have...The length of time between sheds will gradually increase, the older he gets. I wonder if you can find some peach fuzzies to try and get him on larger prey. But it doesn't hurt to use up all your pinks, either.

Back