• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eating under water

Billinms

I'm a fairly inexperienced owner, this is my first corn and I've had him about a year. Anyway, I was just feeding him a thawed fuzzy with tongues, and he pulled it into his water dish and swallowed it under water. He was next to the dish and fell into the water when he wrapped around the fuzzy. Usually, he hates water. I see him drink, but he never gets in. I guess he was too focused on his meal to care, but it was very unusual. After the fuzzy was down, he got out. Does anybody else have experience with corns eating under water?

I have none, and not to hijack your thred but your corn, that is a yearling is still on fuzzies? did you have regurg problems or somthing? No offense, just wondering.

I've never been sure when to move up in size. He's almost 24" long, should I move up? I've been feeding him two fuzzies about every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks.

I have my yearlings usually eating at least a small mouse once a week. I've had green tree pythons eat out of the water, but I don't feed the corns in the viv as they have substrate in there so eating out of a water dish is never an issue.

First of all you shouldnt feed in youre viv because swallowing substrate can cause digestive problems. I would move your smake up to small mice, But I just have big yearlings. You should be feeding youre snake a meal that is 1 to 1.5 times as wide as youre snakes widest part. :)

It depends on the size of the snake, not the age. I have a yearling that is also still on fuzzies. However, he was 8 months old when I got him and still very small for his age--about 15 inches long. He'll be ready to move up before too long, though.

If yours is eating two fuzzies at one sitting, he can take hoppers with ease. Oh, and young snakes like that need to eat more than every 10-14 days. Feed him every 5-7 days instead.

Raiden The Almighty said:
First of all you shouldnt feed in youre viv because swallowing substrate can cause digestive problems.
Billinms never said he had substrate in the viv. If there is paper in there it's perfectly safe to feed in the viv.

I have a separate container I feed him in and I put a water dish in with him. As always, thanks for the advice from everyone. I'll try moving him up to hoppers this week and feed him more often. He's been eating two fuzzies at a time.

Is it a good idea/practice to feed your snake inside its viv.??
I thought I read in a manual that it wasn't.You don't want the snake to believe every time you reach in you could have a meal in your hand.Any truth to this theory ?.

It's only true if you only open the viv to feed, but usually you take them out to hold them, change the water, and clean so you shouldn't train a response. I've never had a problem and I've had several that I fed for a time in their viv's because they were too nervous to eat in the feeding box. All my hatchlings are fed in their containers and none of them bite any more than a normal nervous baby will.

Howdy! I use to live on the Gulf Coast - in Gautier and Pascagoula. We would go hang out on the beach in Biloxi sometimes (at night).

I have a yearling that is BARELY on fuzzies. Smaller ones too. She is just a small girl. It really depends on the size around of your snake. None of mine have moved beyond hoppers yet, but a couple are due to move up since they are eating two at a time. I agree with the once a week feedings btw.
Cheers!

Billinms said:
Yep... Biloxi.

I'm in Grenada--a bit farther north than you.

I have a yearling that is still on pinkies, but she's had some health problems and I thought I was going to lose her at one point. She seems to be doing ok now.

BeckyG said:
I'm in Grenada--a bit farther north than you.

I have a yearling that is still on pinkies, but she's had some health problems and I thought I was going to lose her at one point. She seems to be doing ok now.

Mine is a Ghost corn I've had about a year. He's always been very healthy and has grown fast. When I got him, he could curl up in the palm of my hand, now he's about 20" long. This is my first snake and so far it's been a great pet.

Back