• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Educating

Elaphe_Mo

I just wanted to say that last week I had the chance to go into a classroom full of middle school students and share my corn snakes with them. I had a blast talking to them about corn snake genetics and care. They were all excited and interested and that made me feel good about this hobby. I would encourage anybody who is knowledgable and excited about these animals to do something like this if they have the chance. It was fun and I got to maybe inspire the next generation of corn snake breeders a little bit. After all, they may have to figure out this whole "infinite flavors of hypo" mess and all the other unanswered questions we have.

Talking to school children is great! I've done it a few times, but not yet on cornsnakes specifially. I've always brought at least one of my snakes in just for fun. My talks have mostly been on my profession - veterinary technician - so it's easy to work the snake in. I'm currently waiting for my own children to be old enough to start learning genetics in school, just so I can offer my collection and experience! I'm also hoping that at least one of my kids will do a science paper or project with my corns. "If anyone can tell me what my projected results would be if I bred 2 normals het for amel, aneryth, hypo and caramel together (which I really have), in 15 minutes or less, wins a prize. If you can tell me what Murphy is REALLY going to give me, you get the GRAND PRIZE!" (Grand Prize answer...all normals except 1 amber that died during hatching)

I took some of my snake ( corns & spotted pythons) to show preschool kids it was one of the best days of my life, the kids were keen to touch and asked alot of questions, and showed a lot of enthusiasm, very little fear. And the teachers even started to get brave most giving the snakes a quick stroke.

I did a lot of elementary and pre-school talks last year with various lizards and a few corns. They were all very well-received, and I have to say most of the kids are braver than most of the teachers. :) They are great fun to do too.

Skye

huh...

I dont really know much about cornsnakes, and I was just wondering if you could tell me about them, and sort of explain them to me. Thanks.

You've come to the right place to learn about cornsnakes. In general, cornsnakes are docile constrictors, averaging about 4-5 feet in length as adults, they come in a multitude of colors and patterns, and are considered one of the best snakes for the beginner. An excellent place for you to start to really learn about them is by purchasing Kathy Love's Corn Snake Manual, available in many pet stores or directly from her at www.cornutopia.com.

You can learn alot by just browsing this forum. For some great pics and a history on the color/pattern morph, I would greatly suggest visiting Rich's site at www.serpenco.com. Click on 2003 Hatchlings and just browse. By clicking on the small pics, you'll get the history and more, larger pics.

And most importantly, learn all you can BEFORE buying one. And when you finally do get a cornsnake of your own, you'll become an addict like the rest of us!

Back