• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Education = AWESOME!

sciencechick

I had the best day at the zoo I volunteer at today and I just had to post about it! I stayed later than normal so I could meet the new reptile guy's snake that he brought in, and I ended up walking around with him showing guests his snake!

It was fun to be able to carry around a beautiful spotted python all day. So calm and pretty...

What was really wonderful was being able to see people interact with a snake! The kids that liked snakes lit up when they saw her and could touch and hold her, and I saw several people saying "Eww, keep it away" and then petting her a few minutes later and agreeing that she was just the cutest thing ever! Several kids were turning to me all excited and proud saying "That's the first time I pet/held a snake!!"

It is amazing how quickly people who think they don't like snakes turn around when they are given the opportunity to see one up close. There are still some people that will want nothing to do with them, but there were a bunch of people that were really open to learning about snakes.

So to anyone who helps with reptile education programs, here is a big THANK YOU to helping people see our critters for the beautiful amazing animals they are! I knew it was important, but today I got to see first hand how beneficial these experiences are for people.

It is amazing how quickly people who think they don't like snakes turn around when they are given the opportunity to see one up close. There are still some people that will want nothing to do with them, but there were a bunch of people that were really open to learning about snakes.

That always gets me too. Once they've held or touched one, they realize they are not as scary as they always thought.

it's really great being able to "introduce" people to the wonderful world of snakes! we have many many snakes here, and my roommates and i have lots of friends going in and out of our place all the time. you would not BELIEVE how many people came into our house scared to death of snakes, and are now thinking about getting one themselves1 i really don't know where this nationwide fear of snakes came from! (well i have a few guesses but...really!)

Back