• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Egg-binding!

Isak

Hi, I have problems with one of my Butter females. Last year she laid her first clutch (18 eggs) perfectly, but this year she has 7 eggs left to go, and this is about 1,5-2 weeks after the first of her eggs were laid.
Last year another one of my female corns had egg-binding problems and I managed to massage 2 eggs out sucessfully. I've massaged 3 eggs out of this female and she has laid 11 eggs by herself at different times under almost 2 weeks. But there is still 7 eggs left. But I can't manage to get the first one of the 7 out, the oviduct has in somehow blocked the way, and wont move. The eggs are loose in the oviduct, so they are not stuck. Someone who have experience in this kind of problem, may have a tip? Since it's almost 2 weeks since she laid the first egg, I need to do something about it pretty fast because im leaving to Hungary tomorrow and can't do anything if she needs help during the next week!

Very thankful for reply!

I had this problem last year and agian this year. Last year I used a 20 gage needle to extract the contents within 48 hours of her last egg being laid and she past it in minutes. This year I had two with the same problem and let them go longer. The eggs became solid and I could not lance them , so I brought them to the vet. one had several eggs stuck and and the vet. removed them with surgery.The other had only one egg left and we tried several doses of oxytocin witch is used to induse labor in women. that method didn't work. The vet. told me the eggs have to be lanced within 48 hours or the become solid.I'm sure this Is not encouraging but thought I should post anyway.I hope it can help somone at least. I learned the hard way.
p.s the vet performed the sugery at no charge to me in exchange for her keeping the cornsnake.I was glade because I couldn't have afforded it and the snake would have died without it.
Jason B.

Thanks!

Thanks! I'm leaving the snake to one of my friends, he is an very experienced herpetologist, so I'm hoping that he will manage to get the eggs out while im in Hungary. If he does not, there is nothing to do about it, since the snake will proabebly be dead by the time I come home :cry:
Now I will start with calcium in every meal and I will try to come up with some kind of training that i can help my snakes get stronger, so this never happens again!

Thanks!

Back