• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Egg bound? How long is too long?

rosecat

I was wondering how long do you wait before getting worried? My ghost female is still gigantic, for about 2+ weeks its looked like she ate a sausage. She started laying on Friday night, and some more on Sat morning. Since then she's been curled up in the lay box, but no more eggs have come out and she still looks really big. I just gave her more water and checked on her, there are 4 eggs they're probably a good 2-2 1/2 inches long, it seems as if maybe her big "sausage" has moved down a little bit, but to me it doesn't appear as if there are eggs down lower.

Please let me know any help would be appreciated!

~rosecat

Have you been handling her and massaging the stuck eggs? If not, start now. Do it twice a day for 10-15 minutes. Luke warm baths occasionally work for some females, you could try that also. If you have a reputable vet that has some expertise with herps, at this point, it would be an alternative solution too. If she is given a dose or two of oxytocin, that may induce labor again and get those eggs out. Now's not the time to freak out yet, you can still make things work.

I'm a little nervous about trying this, she is not a happy camper when I go into the viv to change the water. I was reading some others posts on here and misted her some too, since she appears to mostly be living in the lay box.

Is it okay to remove the eggs she's laid? They still look okay, but the bedroom is relatively cool, and I'd be more comfortable if i can put them in the incubator.

Have you tried offering food? Sometimes the meal can help push other things along. I'd also want her to get the extra nutrition, egg laying can tire them out.
If it was me I would take the eggs she already has and set them up, I wouldn't want her to roll them over if they were still in the box.

Has she still not passed the other stuck eggs?

I'd say it's fine to remove the laid eggs, she's sure to give you some stiff "nudges" when you do. Since they've laid there for a few days, I personally would take extra special care not to rotate or tilt the eggs in any way... better safe than sorry.

Have been giving her any exercise and massaging the eggs?

not yet on the exercise or massages, but this is what i'm going to do when i get back this morning (in class right now): remove the eggs, give her some exercise and try to massage the eggs, and then feed her a small something (probably a hopper) tonight.

my first snake that laid this season I was told I should not have handled her at all, when I found the first egg, which is why I'm somewhat reluctant to handle this one.

also this is my first year breeding, and my 3rd snake to lay

Back