• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Egg Bound??

andys999

At what stage should I start worrying about one of my females becoming egg bound?

At lunchtime today she layed one egg which appears infertile (it's rather misshapen)

That was 8 hours ago

She has obviously got many more to come

Her pre lay shed was 9 days ago

She has a laying box with sphagnum moss in it but the first egg was not in this.

She is not a new mother - I got her last October and I now that she was bred last year

I'm not a newcommer to breeding but have never known a single egg to be laid and then a long wait before

Any ideas appreciated - any more info needed just ask

Andy

I had a female go about 24 hours between eggs, so you could still be ok, and then finally stopped laying with one egg left to go. I don't know how normal the 24 hour wait is, but I do know I tried everything I could think of to help along that last egg after more than a day had gone by, and finally had to take her to the vet. He gave her some hormones and then removed the fluid from the egg with a needle and she finally passed it. The good news is her next clutch came out with no problems so I don't think she suffered any damage from the ordeal.

I haven't started worrying too much just yet

I was just after a little reassurance from someone who could tell me they had experienced a long wait and everything turned out ok

Andy

Back