• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Egg laying problem!

Isak

Hi! Three of my female corns are bred and has started to lay some of their eggs. My first female butter laid a nice clutch with 25 eggs, maybe 2-3 slugs. My ghost hasn't started yet, i hope she will make it, she is to smal to breed even though she is 4 years of age, because she has been bred 2002 (at almost 2 years of age), 2003, and now 2004 and she havn't had the chance to regain enough strengh. Anyway, my second butter female is bred with the same male as my first butter female, they all live together is the same cage. She wont lay all her clucth at one time! It's now 3 days since she started, she has laid 2-3 eggs every day, with only one possible fertile egg every time. I tried to put in more nest places with shapgnum moss, but she wont go there. I have removed the male from the cage since he was steeling the second females nest place from the begining.
Why doesn't she lay all the eggs att one time, and why does she chose not to lay them in one of the three nesting sites I've made just because she would have more freedom to chose nesting place. Is this because the male thats been breeding to them bred the first female, and the second female right after? The second female could have got infertile sperm if the male bred both females within the same day, right?

//Thankful for reply!!

First thing, you should not disturb them (moving them) when they are laying. Stress could cause problems with laying.

If she stops laying all together but still has eggs inside her you have to get her to the vet. A day without laying any and I suggest the vet.

If she were mine I'd take her to the vet anyhow.

okay...

Thats not the problem i think, she will proabebly pas all eggs, the problem is how she does it, and why. She laid a clutch with 18 eggs last year without any problem, and she is a big snake so I dont understand why she acts like this. I would be greatful if someone who had experience of females not laying fertile eggs, at different places in the cage, and do not prefer the nesting place made of shapgnum moss could reply to my post.

Thanks for your reply anyway DAND,

//Isak

Back