• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

egg sizes

dw662002

i have a female who was a past breeder that just laid a clutch. the size of the eggs was about the size of a cherry. my ? is : do the eggs decrease in size the more the snake is bred or the more eggs they lay? a second snake i have laid a clutch and the eggs are about 1"-2" long? just wondering

The second snake's egg size sounds more like it, but have seen smaller eggs laid but haven't ever seen egg size decrease with age. If anything, if in good health, the older females seem to lay nice large eggs.
John

Chicken eggs get bigger the older the hens get. I wonder if that's because there is more room for it- the oviduct is stretched out? I don't know. I know good babies can hatch from tiny eggs, though. Take El Wray for instance!!

The eggs I had last year were almost identical to grapes in shape but just slightly larger. I have two girls going to lay soon when they lay I will get an idea of how much it varies from snake to snake. From what I have read though they do vary in length, diameter and overall size. Sometimes it can be different each year with the same female, from what I have read that is. As long as they are not hard and slimy they should be good or counted as good until they go icky lol.

The past breeder I am reffering to is the 1 have been posting about the last 2 weeks. In total she laid 24 eggs with 5 good, 2 not sure about and the rest slugs. The 2nd snake I am reffering to is a first year breeder. She is I am guessing 5/6 years old. She laid 13 total with 1 slug. From what I have read it is common for 1st year breeders to lay a low # of eggs.

The term first year breeder, I think, refers to those that are 3 or so. I think the older they are the more likely they are to lay more whether they had bred before or not but I could be mistaken. I am still learning some of the many terms.

Back