• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

egg texture

hzahorka

Borderline Corn Addict
Hi all,
I have noticed as I went through the archives and such that all the corn eggs I have seen pics of the eggs look smooth, like a chicken egg. The ones I have here don't look that way, they are pretty rough looking. Mama's diet is/was good prior and during the time she was carrying eggs. Anybody else have rough looking eggs from their snakes? could this present a problem for hatching if they are lucky enough to make it that far?

I don't know exactly what you mean by "rough looking". All of the good eggs from my corns have been smooth and white when they are laid, but If they are left in the peat moss very long, then they get brown stains on them. That has never affected the outcome though.

Now after a month or so, especially if there are moldy slugs attached to them, then they can become rather rough looking.

Mark

Here's a pic that was taken this morning (I also posted this pic under "Dehydrated Mama, need advice asap"). I'm not sure how to describe their texture to you other than they aren't smooth lol, but they are white/off white in color and around 1" long each. She only laid one slug and it was yellow and spongy. They are being incubated in sphagnum moss. I can try to get a better pic or two of individual eggs in a little while.

My eggs have never been smooth. The surface has a small rectangular texture to it. I'll see if there are any closeups of eggs around...

Thanks for the link to those pics. I guess they best way I can describe these eggs at 2 days old would be they are "bumpy" kinda of like drywall texture after it's been painted over. The eggs aren't hard just leathery and "bumpy"

Ok, I tried to get a better pic of one of the eggs but I had to do it without my flash so it is dark and a little blurry (yeah, I need a new dig. cam) so everywhere you see the little white highlights is where bumps are.

Attachments

• bumps.jpg
    bumps.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 44
Back