• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

eggbound

JCam99

Hi
My big amel female I think is now eggbound. She has one egg remaining that is right at the vent but hasn't come out...she started laying on Sat. night and was finished with all but this egg Sunday afternoon. She still has not laid the egg and is no longer having contractions. How long should I wait before considering this an eggbound case and taking action? Right now I have her in a tub of shallow lukewarm water soaking, hoping that might help her relax and push the egg out, plus I've been reading that exercise is good for the same reason. It is right at the vent, and I think if I could dilate her cloacca I might be able to get it out, that's assuming it isn't too large. It doesn't look that large, just a noticeable lump. Her health otherwise is excellent, she's bright eyed, still has great weight, alert, active, and would probably eat if I offered her a meal.

Any advice would be appreciated. I hate to take steps to remove the egg when she could always lay it later and it still be viable. So I guess I'm just looking for a timeframe here. One website I went to said that the contents harden within 24 hours...I find that hard to believe, b/c I've read in the corn snake manual and elsewhere it takes several weeks for contents to harden, making aspiration impossible. Should I give her until after the postlay shed before aspirating or attempting to get the egg out of her?

Thanks for any advice. I have someone who can do the aspiration if necessary, even though I am sure I could do it as well.
Please respond quick as possible.
Thanx guys
Jcam99

Thanks for showing me that post...I had read through the first page or so before but didn't realize how many more responses there had been. So what Rich recommends is just leaving them alone for about 2 weeks and hopefully they'll go ahead and lay the last egg on their own. Sounds good to me. I put her back in her cage with the egglaying box and I'm just going to leave her alone for awhile. Oh yeah when she was in the water tub exercising she pooped so her bowels are functioning correctly.

One quick question maybe you or someone else could answer...should I go ahead and start feeding her a little again even though she has that one retained egg at the vent? It might give her an energy boost to help her push the egg out.

Thanks
Jcam99

just a quick update

I went ahead and offered her a weanling mouse tonight when I got home and to my surprise she gulped it down instantly. I just placed it beside her and she went to it and did the rest. So I'm hoping that will give her a little energy boost and she'll be okay. Right now she is coiled up in her cage outside the nesting box. I'll check on her again sometime tomorrow.

Hope she gets through this okay. I was debating rebreeding her for a second clutch before b/c her weight was so excellent but I don't think I will now...don't want to to go through this worry again this year :) , but I've got 3 more females to deal with. Hopefully this will be my first and only experience with eggbinding.

Later
Jcam99

J CAM i wouldn't double clutch her

she has gone through enough for one season i wouldn't breed her again this yr. to help this situation put some logs in her cage for climbing purposes to use her muscles . last yr i had a corn that pushed out old eggs for about 3 wks after the initial clutch was laid everytime i fed her i'd find an old yellow egg in her tank about 3 total . gail

Back