• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eggs 61 days and mom double clutched?????

LindsayMarie

Been here awhile
Ok, so I get some unexpected eggs in a double clutch but my main question is, is something wrong with clutch 1? They are 61 days old and showing no signs of hatching soon to come (dents etc). They are not rotting or anything, and are nice and plump (some more then others). I thought that moms double clutched AFTER the eggs hatched (this girl wasnt supposed to at all). Poor girl, lost quite a bit of weight and alot of strength. I have had her first clutch incubating in a closed container in a hovabator at temps in early development around 80-81 and slowly rising, now to 82.5-83+. Are they dead from having to move them (stated in a previous thread) or are they just not due? Anyone have any idea when approximately they should be due based say on a incubation temp of 82? Thanks for any help! Lindsay

I thought that moms double clutched AFTER the eggs hatched

Ah yes - "The Rules".

The rules that aren't actually rules, becuase the Corns don't read the rulebook.... Dontcha just hate 'em?

The second clutch will be laid around the time that the first clutch hatches. Of course when that happen, will be dependant on temps, humidity etc in the incubator.

Are they dead from having to move them (stated in a previous thread) or are they just not due? Anyone have any idea when approximately they should be due based say on a incubation temp of 82?

At this stage, if they look fine, they are fine.

Mine hatch on average about 64 days at temps in the low 80s, so you should expect to see some snouts in the next 10 days or so.

But that's just an average. Some clutches have gone to 70 days before now (What was that about Rules....?!).

I'm with Bitsy one this one too, corns do NOT read the rule books, it's just a waiting game now, doesn't it just drive you insane? ;)

Good luck and keep us posted :)

my corn has just double clutched as well totally unexpected, it is the first time we have bred her so really wasnt expecting it and totally not prepared her eggs have started hatching, 8 babies so far and 3 pipping today. I just came home yesterday to find 10 eggs in her viv, some dont look too good but at least 3 look good.

I cant remember from before but when is the best time to feed her do I wait for her to shed again or try and feed her on a little one.

my corn has just double clutched as well totally unexpected, it is the first time we have bred her so really wasnt expecting it and totally not prepared her eggs have started hatching, 8 babies so far and 3 pipping today. I just came home yesterday to find 10 eggs in her viv, some dont look too good but at least 3 look good.

I cant remember from before but when is the best time to feed her do I wait for her to shed again or try and feed her on a little one.

This is where I'm a big fan of keeping records, that way I know what I did in each situation and if it worked well, if it didn't then I know to change what I did next time :shrugs:

I personally offer a small feed within 12 to 24 hours of laying and then again straight after the post-lay shed, once those two meals have been digested well, I start increasing the size until she is back to eating the size she was eating before breeding :)

Hope that helps,

I'm the same as Sue - I offer a small mouse in the 24 hours after they finish laying. I usually offer a normal-sized feed 5-7 days later - sometimes they eat before the shed, sometimes they don't, but it's worth a try if you don't mind a wasted mouse.

After the shed, as long as those first two feeds went well, I offer two normal-sized mice per feed, at their regular feeding intervals, until pre-laying weight has been regained. That usually takes between 6-8 weeks with fortnightly feeds.

ok I will try that, I posted this before I even thought to look in my diary (silly me). Upto now my girl has only ever been fed on live mice but now I have been breeding my own I euthanised a few last nite so thinking this might be a good time to try and change her onto f/t as well.

I weighed them all and they average between 19-26g so a nice size for her as well.

Back