• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

eggs collapse...

vagabond407

I have a clutch, first from this momma, that I am having this issue with. I'm on day 50 now, but since about day thirty two I've had two eggs thatt cave on me. They are egg 1&2 laid of this clutch and they have abnomal patches of very thick shell. My question is oddly enough. If I open the egg box they will reinflate within a few minutes. Leads me to believe that it is poor gas exchange due to the thick shells? I have been using custom containers very much like the sim ones. Incubator is vented to the room, as well as vented egg containers. And have had over 99% hatch rate with this set up.
So could it be the thick shells? Anything I can do?(vent the eggs?) Suggestions?

I'm worried that when the egg caves it is forcing the gas pocket out of the egg, evident with candleing, and the lil ones inside may drown?
30 years and Ive never had eggs "rehydrate" when exposed to the dryer air outside the incubator? The rest of the clutch is as clean and full as a fresh dozen from the market. The tto in question are nice and white as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, Mark

Sorry that you got a spammer reply. Hopefully the mods will catch that soon. I don't have an answer for you, but hang tight. One of the gurus is sure to see your post and have an answer for you!

Hmmm. I thought this forum would be of some help, guess not.

you dont have to be snarkey about it..and its only been a day

I would think that it has to to with the container maybe being sealed too tightly or not enough ventilation. The gas difference between the incubator and the outside may cause it to appear deflated and when you open it the egg has a chance to reabsorb more oxygen and re-inflate.

if not that it has to be some other air composition/pressure issue cause that to happen. Everything you mention sounds like that. Maybe ad some more top vents to promote heat cycling and see if that helps to keep them fluffed up.

gl

I did end up opening the worst of the two eggs on the 18th. So far all is well with it. It probably would have drown in the egg, there was no room at all in the egg for gas exchange. Could have just let it run its coarse, but ??.

The embryo was for the most part fully formed(scaled and color). There has been further development as far as growth.
The only thing I have done is add a drop or two of tepid water to keep it from drying out.

Fingers crossed,

Mark

Mark,

It is VERY common for nearly all colubrid eggs to deflate a bit right before hatching. You want to make sure you don't add water at this stage because you risk drowning the hatchlings. Simply let the eggs deflate, the hatchlings are fine. Now, if you start seeing this much earlier than when you think the eggs are due to hatch, check the incubation substrate. But, if you're expecting hatchlings at any time and you see eggs begin to deflate, it's a great indicator that you'll have hatchlings soon!

Mitch

Thanks.
He is out. Was peeking around yesterday afternoon and emerged around midnight. Very active and alert. Yay!
The water was added to keep the yolk from geling so it would remain useable. I have done this succsesfully with a few different monitor species.
May have been a little selfish on my part as to not let nature run its path. But, I'm happy to have him!
He was the fourth of the clutch to leave the egg. I was most worried that it would cause him to hatch premature. I dont believe that was the case.
Now to see what will happen with the one that was doing the same thing?

Mark

Back