• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eggs in Airtight Containers

WAS1

Does anyone incubate there eggs in airtight containers, and if so how often do they let them air?
I`m only asking because i`m off on holiday for 2 weeks, and reckon if I leave them airtight the container will retain all its moisture.

I used airtight containers this year and they worked great. I ended up opening mine every two weeks to makes sure all was .o.k.

The trick is to have a light fog on the lid. In your case with the two weeks you will be gone your worry should be if it is too moist. If it is too moist water droplets form on the lid and will drip on the eggs if you are not there to wipe the lid off when needed. Oxygen shouldnt be a problem. If i were you i would set it up now- make sure no water droplets form over the next week -if the do you need to dry out the medium a little.

This will be my fourth year incubating in airtight containers and it works well. I usually check once a week, but I'd be happy to leave them for a fortnight.

If you're concerned about drips from the lid, put a loose layer of damp sphagnum moss over the eggs. This will both prevent drips from falling directly onto the eggs and have the double benefit of keeping the humidity up around the eggs.

Have a good break!

Back