• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eggs stuck in nest box??

WAS1

My female jungle corn has just laid about 15 eggs, and all of them are stuck to the nest box.
I want them out and in the incubator, but dont want to destroy any dislodging them.
Anyone got any ideas???

I have no idea but I would pull them apart. I read someone say, They were laid that way for a reason. But I dont have the exper. to help you with pulling the eggs out of the box. Sorry, hope things work out.

hi, i am no expert either but if the eggs will not pull apart easily do not force them as you will damage them.
Last year my first clutch were all stuck together, i didn't pull them apart as they were firmly stuck together. They all hatched perfectly though.

When Ruby lay her second clutch i was fortunate enough to be there while she layed so i removed each egg straight away as she layed them, only two stuck together but they came apart very easily.

Hope this has been some help to you, i don't know whether anyone else has any idea's for seperating eggs but personally i wouldn't try if they are really stuck

Good Luck

Isobel

2 of mine got stuck to the bottom of the tray my girl was on, i sprayed them and peeled them of very carefully, they turned abit yellow but are now allright, i wouldnt pull them apart tho, just try to get them off thee bottom of the nest box

First of all, NEVER put water on your snakes eggs. It will kill them!!! Your eggs may look fine but they very well may not be fertile anymore. You may have gotten lucky and not had too much on them to kill them but that is not normally the case. If you want to avoid dissapointment of no eggs surviving it is imperative that you do not get water on the eggs. Even too much moisture in the incubation medium will kill the embryos.

Yes, it is ok to pull the eggs from the box. I personally have never had any of my snakes eggs glued to the box, maybe because I use peat moss for laying medium??? Anyway, I have had to peal eggs apart to make them fit the containers that fit in the incubator and have never had any problems with them hatching by doing that. You just must be very careful when you do it and make sure you keep all the eggs in the same orientation as they were laid......i.e. you don't turn the egg so the top is not the top of it anymore.

Oh, and as far as removing the eggs from the container possibly disrupting the pile of them, If they are all glued together and you are peeling the bottom ones from the container surface it will not disrupt the eggs in the pile. Unless, of course, some of them are not glued on. Just remove any eggs that are loose or barely glued and will become detached from the pile and place them in the incubation medium first before you remove the clump from the box.

Good luck and hope you get some sweet little heads popping out in a few weeks. :)

I managed to free them from the box, but left them in a clump to incubate.
BTW. "water kills them". I`ve always misted mine if the moisture seems low without ever a problem!!

Back