• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

EGGs & Time Delays/Patterns

Robertk

My snake laid one dodgy looking egg a week ago,but laid it it on the cage floor ,not in the lay box,i figured she must not have liked the lay box so i changed it for another that gave her a bit more privacy,2 days later i found 6 more good eggs and 1 more dodgy looking one,since then she has continued to spend all her time in the lay box,i offered her a small mouse 2 days ago which she took(she had refused food all through her gravid period).Today i decided i`d remove the lay box,she was still buried in the soil and i found 2 more healthy looking eggs buried about an inch under the peat moss & not visible from the surface, that`s a week after the first one and five days after the next six(they were`nt there when i fed her two days ago.Perhaps she was egg bound,i don`t know, i `m retrospectively surprised she ate two days ago if she still had eggs inside.Is this a relatively common occurrence or a bit unusual.She`s still a young snake and has only bred once before(last year she laid 8 eggs in one go).she`s the only egglaying snake i`ve ever bred so experience here is limited..

Just to be safe, continue to watch her and look for any more eggs. While most females will lay all their eggs over a reasonably short period of time, I have had a few females take awhile to finish laying. More often than not, there are slugs (usually before &/or after the fertile eggs are layed) involved in a "long-lay", but not always. Last year, one of my females took 18 days to lay all of her "eggs" (all slugs). The longest time one of my females took to lay a clutch of all fertile eggs was 8 days.

Thanks Susan, there`s been no more since i found the last two so i`m assuming that`s it but will leave the lay box in till her post lay shed just to be sure.

Not sure how normal/common it is but it certainly happens,my snake`s just taken a week to lay them all and the last two are perfectly good i`m not sure but it may be more common for delays in egg laying to be associated with subsequent slugs rather than with more good fertile eggs.Definitely don`t give up hope though,you might be pleasantly surprised like i was when i found two more good eggs 5 days after the first batch.

Back