• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Enough lurking... guess I should say hi

KatLaz

Hey everybody. My name's Kat, and like many in this section of the forum, I'm new to snakes. I'm getting my first two babies Wednesday from Gino at Lost World Reptiles and I can't wait! My snake-obsessed friend came over and showed me how to set up their vivs, so everything's good to go! I had been roaming through kingsnake.com for quite awhile and somehow found this site, and I have to say this is an awesome forum! I love having a forum focused solely on the snake I'm getting.

Anywho, a little about me is in order, I suppose. I'm 21, just moved to Oklahoma less than a year ago and love it (not so sure about the freezing winters though :nope:). I'm married, have a beautiful 11 month old daughter and two girlie dogs that think they're children. I'm slowly working my way into photography, currently as a hobby, maybe later as work. We'll see...

Well that's pretty much it! Thanks for all the helpful info y'all post on here! Really helps us newbs figure things out much faster than we could any other way.

Hi, Kat!! Welcome to the forum!!! It's great that you're into photography because everybody here loves photos!!

Congrats on your new additions/addictions and I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your new babies!!

Hi KatLaz,
Welcome to the forum.
Lots of good folks here. If your haven't already, read up on the sticky on top of each forum. Husdansry and basic care is the first I would read.
If you have any other question just ask.
Did you get a set up yet?? tank bedding etc etc.

Thanks guys! Always nice to feel welcome!

I've got the first viv set up. He actually gave us everything for free just so I could see what we needed (substrate, two hides, couple of logs, water bowl, UTH, light, and actual viv), then I can get the rest for the second baby. He has been keeping snakes for about 11 years, and while he has only a few that are non-venomous, it's still really helpful having someone who knows what they're doing help you! He did say that it would be fine to keep them in the same viv, but after reading all the threads about co-habbing I'm really skeptical. He has a few bull snakes that he keeps in a large viv together and they seem perfectly fine, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

Anyway, They're going to be in 10gal tanks just while they're tiny, and in the meantime I've been searching craigslist for a reasonably priced tank to replace those... I might add a divider or something if I get a big enough one. But then again, my hubby is a carpenter and claims he can build a rack for me... and I do plan on getting more in a few months when the snake expo comes through. Tough decision lol. Would a 42-48 qt tub be good if I decided to go with the racks? They're the longer ones, not taller, which I personally like better.

Anyway, They're going to be in 10gal tanks just while they're tiny, and in the meantime I've been searching craigslist for a reasonably priced tank to replace those... I might add a divider or something if I get a big enough one. But then again, my hubby is a carpenter and claims he can build a rack for me... and I do plan on getting more in a few months when the snake expo comes through. Tough decision lol. Would a 42-48 qt tub be good if I decided to go with the racks? They're the longer ones, not taller, which I personally like better.

Your going to need a heat source ( Under tank heater or flexwatt or someting else) I prefer either of the first two. And something to regulate the heat and a good indoor/outdoor themometer with a probe.
But....... to save you money down the long run, and you are thinking of a rack system... you have to figure which way you will be going.
Tanks (Viv) or rack.
You will need a 20l tank for an adult corn, or bigger.

Good luck.

Thanks Lenny. Yup I've got the under tank heater and a light for daytime. By regulate heat... do you mean a dimmer or something of the like? I keep seeing all this stuff about dimmers and probes and I just can't figure em out. There were already two dial thermometers attached to the tank... one for humidity and one for temp. What do you do with a probe thermometer? Maybe I'll search the forum and see if I can dig up anything...

Hi Kat! Welcome to the forum! I can't wait to see pictures of your little ones when you get them! Have you picked out any names or anything like that yet?

Thanks Lestette! No I haven't figured out names yet... I figured I'd wait till I see them and learn their personalities a little better :) I've decided hubby is not allowed to help with naming because he comes up with the most ridiculous ones hah. Not ridiculous like creative, just.... retarded :rolleyes: I think he does it to be funny and irritate me.

A probe thermometer will give you a more exact reading of the temperature at your snakes' levels. A dial thermometer can be off by a bit so it's best to use a probe for exact reading. It's just a digital thermometer with a long probe that you place under the substrate right above the UTH.

As far as regulating heat, the UTH's usually get way too hot for corns so you'll need a rheostat or a thermostat (thermostats are generally a little more expensive but they are the more recommended of the two). A rheostat just limits the amount of power going to the UTH and still have to be monitored for room changes but the thermostat will monitor the exact temp of the viv and turn the UTH on and off to keep that temp even...

He did say that it would be fine to keep them in the same viv, but after reading all the threads about co-habbing I'm really skeptical. He has a few bull snakes that he keeps in a large viv together and they seem perfectly fine, but I wouldn't want to risk it..

You're right, cohabbing is definitely looked down upon...

I just wanted to say major kudos to you for doing research and searching the forums before getting your snakies!!

A probe thermometer will give you a more exact reading of the temperature at your snakes' levels. A dial thermometer can be off by a bit so it's best to use a probe for exact reading. It's just a digital thermometer with a long probe that you place under the substrate right above the UTH.

As far as regulating heat, the UTH's usually get way too hot for corns so you'll need a rheostat or a thermostat (thermostats are generally a little more expensive but they are the more recommended of the two). A rheostat just limits the amount of power going to the UTH and still have to be monitored for room changes but the thermostat will monitor the exact temp of the viv and turn the UTH on and off to keep that temp even...

Measley post is right on, Well I mostly, I never test how hot a UTH get unregulated. ha ha

But, if you going to switch over to a rack system soon....
you might want to go with flexwatt and a good therostat. So getting good one now will save you latter

If your going the route.

Hey .... no pics yet.

Rookies... hehe

Welcome Kat. It appears as though you have gotten all the needed info already. Other then the fact corn snakes don't need extra lighting for daytime. It does help to be able to see them better but light isn't important like a UTH with a thermostat is.

Can't wait to see pics of your new babies when you get them.

Back