• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Enough of the biting

progressive74

I have had my corn for just over a month now and he has not calmed down at all every time i go near him he is in the strike postion. i am really worried that he will never calm down and i will be left with a snake that will be come dangrous when he gets older (i am sure that a mature snake hurts when it bites).

i have read that lots of people have really docile and calm hatchlings. i am doing something wrong or is this just normal behaviour?

Your cornsnake will never be dangerous. Maybe if it bites an infact directly in the eyeball.....but other than that yes the bites of adults hurt but not that bad.

And one month is not enough time to judge if your snake will be a biter when older or not. Young snakes are supposed to bite, thats what they do to defend themselves. and many calm down as they get older.

Keep handling it and be patient!

Good luck

bmm

How big is your snake? It can take as long as a year before your snake starts to calm down, especially if it's small right now. Let it grow a few inches and see if he starts to realizse you're nothing to fear.

-Lemur 6

It's no fun getting bitten

at least by a big adult. But you'll get much more comfortable with it over time. If you only own one snake, it will almost certainly calm down with the attention you give it. I have around 70 snakes right now and most are handled only for inspection and cage-cleaning. I pretty much know the disposition of all of them. I seldom get bitten (except by hatchlings), but it does happen from time to time. My grouchiest corn would calm down into a good pet if someone put the time into working with him.

I notice that yearlings are generally less nippy than hatchlings, even with the little handling I give them. I don't even try to handle the squirmy little things until they begin to put some size on them. Your snake will be a fine pet this time next year.

Back