• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Epoxy putty "gum" - Kneadatite and Milliput

proileri

Didn't see these mentioned here, so I'd thought I mention them to any DIYers.

greenstuffroll.jpg

The epoxy putties mentioned - Kneadatite/Green Stuff and Milliput - are basically non-toxic two-part stuff, that resembles somewhat hard bubblegum, is mixed by hand and hardens rock hard in a few hours. So what ever you can think of sticking on with bubblegum, you can do it with these, as they stick even on glass. (Note: do not let your animal on this stuff before it has hardened!)

The fun part is that these putties are sculptable - in fact they are used for sculpting toy soldiers. And you can stretch them like bubblegum, too, well, at least Kneadatite. Milliput is more like stiff cookie dough, and crumbles when stretched. But in any case, they dry to the shape you bend/stretch them to, so you can easily fill holes and attach things with it - especially good for places where you don't get perfect fit, like between two rocks for example. Or you could could, for example, attach two branches together, and sculpt the attaching part to look like it's part of the tree.

These are sold in craft stores and stores selling wargaming stuff like Games Workshop products (GW is a big brand and easy to google locally), so they're pretty easy to find.

It's a bit pricy so you wouldn't want to fashion anything much larger than a matchbox sized thing out of it, but for small repairs and attaching pieces it's awesome.

Hmmmm

I'll haven't thought of using that!!
For branches I used drill, bits and screw but I have access to that and the branches are still in uses today. But rocks this would be a good thought!

Here's one use. See that gray "worm" next to the branch? That's grey kneadtite, shaped as a loop and stuck on the glass. I use these to attach foliage on glass surface.

I haven't tested how much weight it can hold, but I'd guess 2-3 pounds. It doesn't come off easy.

kneadatite.jpg

Back