• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Escape Tricks

fyrefairy

Not sure this is the right forum for this (please move it or tell me to if it isn't), but Persephone has vanished! She tends to burrow in her substrate, and she's my shy baby. I didn't think much of it when I didn't see her all afternoon. Then tonight, at feeding time, I went to get her out, and her cage lid was unlocked! It's got the sliding locks that fit into grooves on the inside of the tank, and one of the locks was pushed into the open position. I think the sneaky girl actually figured out how to open it by herself and pushed the lid up enough to get out. I've got the recommended snake-catching traps set up, with the exception of toothpicks. (Those will have to wait until tomorrow.)

So I guess this is both a "I'm sad because my pretty baby's out" and a note to watch out for those sliding locks.

I'll have to go pick up some clips for the lid on Loki's cage. He's got the same setup. The lids sit a little bit lower than the top edge of the aquarium glass. Will clips work for that or should I find new tank lids? :shrugs:

Well, the good news is she's still in the office someplace. She nabbed the pinkie out of a trap last night, but she didn't stay in it. I'm picking up some toothpicks on the way home from class today, so I can maybe track her. I'll have to see about improving the traps, too. Off to learn things for now, though.

I know what its like to have a missing snake, but I also know what its like when they turn up! thank god. Good luck with finding her.
Tooth picks? I've never heard of that 1, hows that work then?
Again good look, just remember it may take more time than you'd like.

~slither~ said:
I know what its like to have a missing snake, but I also know what its like when they turn up! thank god. Good luck with finding her.
Tooth picks? I've never heard of that 1, hows that work then?
Again good look, just remember it may take more time than you'd like.

Some people on here talk about using matchsticks/etc. You line the wall with them - perpendicular to the wall. Theoretically, when the snake crawls over them, they'll wind up pointing in the direction it went. (Unless you have a cat...then all is lost anyways..."Look! Toys!") It's easier for me to get a package of toothpicks than matches...for some reason, kitchen matches are near impossible to find. All the flammable corn in this state or something...

Gotcha, I'll remember that one if I ever need it, *touch wood* hope not! Some people come up with some great ideas.

Found her!

Well, I found Persephone just now! (She's hanging out on my arm at the moment.) Girly was hiding under a spare waterbowl in my extra-equipment storage. She wasn't there when I looked before, but I decided to take the closet apart today, starting at the top. I must have startled her because when I looked down, she was watching me from under the dish. She was perfectly calm and crept right up my arm when I picked her up. I'm so glad she's home safe. She looks great, too. I guess the extra exercise didn't hurt her any. :)

Glad you found her..

Never heard of the toothpic idea, sounds like it would work. You can do the same thing with flour if you have a tile floor. You can clearly see the snake tracks in the flour and can see wich way it went, or came from.

Back