• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Even at the vet?!?

serpentina

What the deuce???
Well, I have an appointment at the Exotic animal Vet this Fri. morning for a routine physical and fecal smear (checking for parasites). It's funny though, while talking on the phone she wanted to make sure I brought him in a container with a lid, "because people may get scared". Surprised me. You would think at a place like that it would be different. Not, that I was going to walk in with him just hanging on my arm or anything. Anyway, It's my first "road trip" with the little guy, any suggestions would help to make it as stressfree as possible for him. It's a 20-30 minute ride (depending on traffic) This is what I've learned from the Search feature....pillow case, make sure he's secure (not bouncing around), out of direct sun.....let me know if I forgot anything please. Thanks

I think that about covers it. :) If I am going to have an extended trip I sometimes take one of the hides that the snake is accustomed too so he has some familiar smells around him.

because people may get scared". Surprised me. You would think at a place like that it would be different.

The vets are probably fine, but you might encounter exotic furry-owners in the waiting room who are just as freaked by snakes as some dog/cat/bunny owners. Last thing you need is some elderly sugar-glider granny having a seizure as she catches a glimpse of your Corn!

When out in public, I always assume that everyone will be scared by snakes and keep mine well out of sight, just in case.

Yeah, I realize people are afraid of snakes but, when you go specifically to an exotic animal vet, I figured you kind of should expect the unusual. That's why it was so surprising. I guess if dogs need to be leashed, and cats caged it's only fair.

bitsy said:
When out in public, I always assume that everyone will be scared by snakes and keep mine well out of sight, just in case.
I admire your restraint, but those moments are where I really "shine" :grin01:

I had to take one of my snakes in to the vet once--a little shoestring all of 16" long--and I had to assist the vet myself because none of the vet techs would come into the examing room with the snake. And I also had a silver haired, snooty old woman in the waiting room tell me that snakes are NOT pets. Dogs are pets, cats are pets, but snakes are NOT.

I went to a exotic vet a while ago, the vet was about 30-45mins south of me, I placed her in a pillowcase and made she she wasn't in direct sunlight.

As for people freaking out, yeah they weighed my snake outside the room in a special scale and the guy in the waiting room freaked out when I pulled my baby girl out. Amazing huh?

The vet I went to though used to breed corns and he was sooo excited when he walked in that room and saw her =)

nehpets1 said:
too bad the only major ref to anake in the bible is good...

Really? Im interested in learning where that is.. I always assumed th bible gave snakes a bad rap too

nehpets1 said:
too bad the only major ref to anake in the bible is good...

Well I'm no bible scholar and I doubt most of the people with the common fear/dislike of snakes are either. We all know the garden of eden myth to which I am referring. Whether it's actually in the bible or not doesn't really make any difference, people THINK it is.

bitsy said:
Last thing you need is some elderly sugar-glider granny having a seizure as she catches a glimpse of your Corn!

*Gasp* My sugar glider lives next door to my corns and I am not having seizures! ... nor am I a granny, so I suppose all is well. Carry on. :grin01:

Hehe! I work at a petstore and everyone there dislikes the snakes so they never get handled. I work with the fuzzy animals and some birds, but I am always seen carrying around a snake (obviously after washing my hands free from rodent smell :p) Some people walk away quickly in disgust after calling my darling snake "Ugly!". However, most people like to lecture me on how "Outright stupid" it is to own snakes as pets because they bite. I almost bite my lips apart to keep from laughing when a hamster or ferret chomps down on that persons hand! :grin01: :grin01:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy

I admire your restraint, but those moments are where I really "shine"

Trouble is, if you meet someone who is phobic you could get a very unexpected and irrational reaction that could lead to the snake (or you!) being injured.

I've had a close call when someone peered into the tank in the vet's waiting room without asking first, expecting to see a small furry of some sort. When they saw a snake, they lashed out at the tank and knocked it out of my hands before they ran off screaming. Now the snake goes into a pillowcase, then into the tank and I refuse any requests to see it.

Well it's not a myth, and it is in the bible, but what God created is not evil. Just because the devil perverts and distorts everything does not mean snakes are bad. I wish people would get a revelation about that. :wavey:

galofgrace said:
Well it's not a myth, and it is in the bible, but what God created is not evil. Just because the devil perverts and distorts everything does not mean snakes are bad. I wish people would get a revelation about that. :wavey:

i wish people would stop taking the bible as fact.

My friend's little sister came down to spend the weekend with me so she could go to the beach before school started and she told me snakes were evil, and worked for the devil and that's why she was scared of them. I told her the devil doesn't exist and anyone that tells her different is a liar. :dgrin:

lol one of my friends told me i would go to hell for not believing in god, and i asked her if i would be able to get Elizabeth bathory's and Vlad the impaler's autograph there.

Not here not now

PureNightAir said:
i wish people would stop taking the bible as fact.
This conversation does not belong, especially in a thread about the vet's office. All people have different beliefs, and no one can be blamed for believing what they do.

Why antagonize people over this...

Are most exotic vets, solely exotics, or do they handle cats and dogs as well?
I mean, keeping snakes put up at a snake vet is still a good idea... prevents disease transmission, but i would expect that few people could make a living actually being ONLY a snake vet.

Back