• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

even more newbie questions! wow!

mazzy

heh.

just a few more questions for those more experienced than i...

i need to get a thermostat (i think?), but until i do the temp above a few layers of paper towel is 88 or 89 degrees directly above the UTH. is that too warm? also, that temp is the lowest i can get with my rheostat/UTH combo. if i get a thermostat, will i have to buy another rheostat with lower settings or does the thermostat take care of that? also, i was thinking of feeding her tomorrow or saturday and i don't want the temp to be too high. if 89 degrees isn't quite right should i wait until i can get a thermostat? (i can get one on saturday.)

should i be turning off the UTH at night? the temp in my apartment at night is around 75 degress. i don't have a light in the tank. (i figure the natural light (windows on the other side of the room) creates enough of a cycle.

my baby corn, mazikeen, has been curled up in the same spot under a layer or two of paper towel for most of the day. she didn't come out at twilight like she sometimes does. i've only had her since saturday so i'm not quite used to her habits, but most days she's come out at that time. i'm trying to leave her alone, but she's so small that it's impossible to tell where she is if she's hiding under a couple of layers of paper towel. i lift them up every once and a while and find her, just to make sure she's still in the tank and, you know, alive. i hope i'm not bugging her too much. :(

Corns are rather hardy.

is that too warm?

The snake will just move to the other end if it is. That is the great thing about thermo regulating. 88 is warmer than optimal, but still cooler than an August day in their native range. ;)

if i get a thermostat, will i have to buy another rheostat?

Both devices serve the same function. The main difference is that the thermostat makes adjustment automatically whil the rheostat requires manual assistance.

should i be turning off the UTH at night?

Your choice as long as the temps don't drop lower than the upper 70s. I've kept two snake at room temps without any external heat with no noticeable effect. Either way, Saturday isn't far off.

i don't have a light in the tank.

Neither do I. ;)

CAV said:
The snake will just move to the other end if it is. That is the great thing about thermo regulating. 88 is warmer than optimal, but still cooler than an August day in their native range. ;)

this is true. i'm no longer worried about her getting burned, but i'd like to have the option to turn it down a bit. so i'll pick up a thermostat when i can and stop stressing.

CAV said:
Your choice as long as the temps don't drop lower than the upper 70s. I've kept two snake at room temps without any external heat with no noticeable effect. Either way, Saturday isn't far off.

yeah. once i have the thermostat i can just turn it down a couple notches at night instead of turning it off entirely. i think i worry too much sometimes.

the snake in your icon is absolutely gorgeous, btw.

Just my two cents...

Some of this depends on the weather too, but as a general rule....

I leave a light on from when I get up at about 8:30 or 9:00am and leave it on until about 5 or so. As the night wears on I keep an eye on the UTH. I try to keep it a steady 80 degrees. On hot days there have been occasions where I've only had to turn the UTH on "low" for the evening.

But that's just my two cents. Good luck with your snake, Mazzy!

when I get up at about 8:30 or 9:00am

I seriously hate you. :)

the snake in your icon is absolutely gorgeous, btw.

Thank you! She is quite a looker. As much as I'd like to take credit for her, she was produced by another forum member, Elrojo.

I agree...gorgeous snake! I want to know how people are getting such excellent close up pictures of their snakes! Mine just shed to day so we took some pics as Ren was feeling rather "fiesty", but I don't think they really do him/her justice. I tried to adjust, but they still look a little blurry.

LOL...don't hate me because I get to sleep in late...hate me because I'm beautiful! LOL! Just kidding! I take it you're a much earlier riser than I am!

I am cetainly no photography expert Bekah, but do you have a macro facility on your camera, (the icon for it is generally a little flower) this will help with close up detailed photography. :wavey:

Cindy said:
I am cetainly no photography expert Bekah, but do you have a macro facility on your camera, (the icon for it is generally a little flower) this will help with close up detailed photography. :wavey:

Nope...no little flower (sigh). I guess for right now what I have is going to have to make do. I just love all these crisp, clear, detailed avatars and wish mine were too! Oh well, I'm just happy I figured how to stick one up there! LOL!

Back