• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Excessive Hiding

Thulsa

Purging is at hand
My young corn seems to hide all the time. In two weeks I havnt seen her out but 1 time and that was very brief and at night. I hold her at least every other day except for 2 days after feeding and shes active when I hold her and very docile she just doesnt seem to want to come out in the tank much. Should I be worried? I keep a red light on at one side of the tank at night for heating and the tank stays at around 82 to 84 degrees. I notice she favors the hide under the light.

My Mexican Black Kingsnake comes out everyday and has the same setup.

I think it's fairly normal. I catch mine sticking her face out of her hide sometimes on feeding day, but otherwise I don't see her much. I've busted her in the middle of the night before... maybe yours comes out when you're not up?

I think it's fairly normal. I catch mine sticking her face out of her hide sometimes on feeding day, but otherwise I don't see her much. I've busted her in the middle of the night before... maybe yours comes out when you're not up?

My wife swears she has seen her (assuming its a her) out at night but since I work overnights maybe I am just missing it. I have never seen her out during the day when I am home except for the first couple of days.

Hatchlings especially are very shy. Hiding is quite normal. As she grows used to your presence and learns that you aren't trying to eat her, she may come out more, or she may not. Snakes have different personalities just like people, but the only surefire way to see your snake when you want to is to reach in and pick them up.

Hatchlings especially are very shy. Hiding is quite normal. As she grows used to your presence and learns that you aren't trying to eat her, she may come out more, or she may not. Snakes have different personalities just like people, but the only surefire way to see your snake when you want to is to reach in and pick them up.

She gets held by me at least once everyother day and sometimes two or three times a day. Shes very calm and never tries to bite. She does run but once I have her shes fine. I probably just a nervous nelly.

That's normal as well. Don't worry, she's fine. :) Hiding is normal for hatchlings and even some adults. It helps them feel secure and safe.

Corn snakes are nocturnal, so it's completely normal to only see them at night. That being said, each one has a different personality and some you'll almost never see, while others are more active. If they are getting ready to shed, you'll likely not see hide nor scale of them for a week or more, day or night. OTOH, when it's nearing feeding time, I usually see a lot more of my snakes. If fact, I often use that as a sign that it's time to feed and may delay feeding if I haven't seen them cruising yet.

The only way to see them more is to give them nothing to hide in! They are super secretive, nocturnal creatures. :grin01:

I never saw my snakes out when they were babies, either... they would only come out in the middle of the night. If I was up until 2AM, I would see them.

Now that they are about a year and a half, they are out more often, but still they don't come out until evening most of the time. They seem to know when it is close to feeding time, though, because then I start to see them cruising around. ;-)

well guys you have put my mind at rest, i was worrying because my corn only comes out of her hide when i take her out most of the time . i hold her every day not for long but then sometimes longer than others. although sometimes she's not happy to come out either

Me too, my mind is at rest too, we have a new snake and the first day it was non stop trying to get out of the tank cruising. Then, the next two days it was complete cover. Not a sign of him until he started peaking out last night. I think that means he's hungry, right? I was planning to feed after the 3rd or 4th day of owning him. After so much hiding I thought I would wait until he came out more, but after reading this thread I think I'm understanding that peaking is a sign that they are hungry. BTW, when he peaks out, I have not seen a sign of his tongue at all. Is this normal?

Peeking out may or may not mean he's hungry, but cruising around the tank in search of food is usually a better sign. I always wait 7 days to feed, but 5 would be fine too.

Oooh, 5 or 7? I was told to wait 3 days or 4. We were just tonight going to try and feed it. Should we wait? He was due to eat the day we bought him which was 3 days ago.

Back