• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Excited to be part of this group

nurfhuder83647

So I have multiple exotic animals:

9 tarantulas (including two Old Worlds)
*will be going up by three (two more Old Worlds and one New World)
1 jumping spider
1 bearded dragon
1 leopard gecko

But no snakes… yet. I finally convinced my wife (who is very afraid of snakes) to let me get a corn snake. It’ll be an early birthday present as we are going to a reptile expo in October. I keep coming across this chat group as I’m doing my research and so figured I’d join up. Im extremely excited to get my first snake.

Also, any suggestions about going to a reptile expo would be appreciated. First time going to one of those as well. 🤘

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Expos can be a great place to pick up a first snake. I highly recommend purchasing from someone who works with corns exclusively (or only a few species) and not one of the big resellers. Try to pick a nice, big robust baby. I've seen some absolutely miniscule corns at expos that should not be sold in their condition. Are you looking for a specific morph?

Welcome to the hobby! We love corn snakes and you're going to love having one - eventually, once you get it of course. Do try and find a baby who's going to have the best chance of thriving. Don't fall for the thought that you can save those teensy tiny ones at expos who are soooo cute. They are often a high-risk proposition, and not the best choice for a first time snake owner.

Don't forget that the baby you see will look very different as an adult. I think corns get better as they grow. Just be aware of the adult look, since you'll hopefully be seeing it for years to come. Again, welcome!

May I ask, is the Oct Expo you are intending to attend the Tinley NARBC in Tinley Park, IL? If so I live in the area and have attended from it's inception. It's a HUGE show and very crowded in October. If you can swing it, I'd recommend purchasing a VIP badge so you can enter before the swarms of the general public enter. There are lots of great breeders there. It has always been a Ball Python heavy show but you'll find corn snakes too.

Welcome to the hobby! We love corn snakes and you're going to love having one - eventually, once you get it of course. Do try and find a baby who's going to have the best chance of thriving. Don't fall for the thought that you can save those teensy tiny ones at expos who are soooo cute. They are often a high-risk proposition, and not the best choice for a first time snake owner.

Don't forget that the baby you see will look very different as an adult. I think corns get better as they grow. Just be aware of the adult look, since you'll hopefully be seeing it for years to come. Again, welcome!
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep that in mind. My excitement keeps building as I get closer to the event.

May I ask, is the Oct Expo you are intending to attend the Tinley NARBC in Tinley Park, IL? If so I live in the area and have attended from its inception. It's a HUGE show and very crowded in October. If you can swing it, I'd recommend purchasing a VIP badge so you can enter before the swarms of the general public enter. There are lots of great breeders there. It has always been a Ball Python heavy show but you'll find corn snakes too.
Actually, I’m going to the Boise, ID expo. I considered the VIP pass but I actually get a discount on the regular pass because I’m a teacher. I’ve heard ball pythons are the in-snake right now. I like them, but definitely want the corn to start with. But also must say, I’m definitely liking the milk and hog nose snake later on after I gain some experience.

Back