• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Exciting Stuff For New Owner!!!!

dr82692

So I got my 3 month old male Amel Motley Tuesday, which is my first snake ever. I opened the lid to his deli cup he came in and placed it in the viv immediately, so I've yet to hold him at all. Besides exploring when he was first placed in the viv, he's been in his warm hide the entire time. Well this morning, I awoke to him poking his little head of the pirate skulls eye (the hide on his warm side), which I found very exciting! I have no class tomorrow, so this is the first time I've been able to stay up late and spy on him at night. I have the lights off in my room, besides my tv, and in the slight light what do I see? He's climbing all over his viv, from side to side on his branches!!!! :D lol I know, very basic stuff, but this is the first time I've seen him active so it's exciting!

Side note: Any suggestions on when to feed? Like I said I got him Tuesday afternoon and haven't touched him since. I was thinking either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night.

How cute. You're so excited. I'd love to see him, got any pictures?

I'm guessing you know to leave him for a week to settle? So feed him next tuesday? Then again, when was he fed last before you got him? You generally feed them once a week. :)

Best of luck and welcome on board!

Peace,
Darren

I snapped a few cell phone pics, but because he's in the viv, the picture quality is pretty bad due to the glare. When i feed i'll be able to get much better shots im sure. The breeder who i got him from (Don at SMR, GREAT customer service, very helpful and informative!) said 2-7 days after receiving to feed. Like I said, haven't touched him at all, even let him get out of his shipping cup and into his viv on his own. he seems to be comfortable enough to thoroughly explore at night, so I figured the full 7 days wouldn't be necessary, so I was thinking Friday, Saturday or Sunday night but i dont know which

I guess I'd go for Sunday. Unless you see him out, a LOT, tonight and Saturday. Then maybe you could feed Saturday. But it doesn't hurt anything to wait a little longer. It _does_ hurt if you attempt to feed him before he is completely comfortable, and he refuses. That would be stressful for you.

Thanks Nanci. Last night he was roaming for a solid 45 mins, then went back in his hide, then came out again, but I didn't see how long he stayed out that time because it was about 3:30 AM and bed time for me lol. I guess I'll see how he does tonight. I figured it would be better to go for Sunday. He's not giving me any worries so far and seems comfortable, so I don't want to mess that up with an over anxious feeding

I have "small" size F/T pinkies from RodentPro. I planned on putting him in a small container with the food at night some time, maybe some time between 8-10? Is that good? And then I guess just leaving him alone until he eats it (fingers crossed)

That sounds good. Make the pink _hot_. You can thaw it in warm water- it just takes a minute, then run it under the faucet for a few seconds to make it hot. You don't have to dry it. I always cut a few slits down the back of the mouse- it makes it more appetizing _and_ easier to digest. So just take a little scissors, like a fingernail scissors, and snip it.

I start feeding about 6PM- that's late enough, unless you've had a problem. So you can put him in the deli, close the lid, and just watch what he does without being distracting. He _should_ find the pink within a minute or so, and start feeding. If he is too busy trying to get out, walk away and don't watch him. Check again in about 15 minutes. If he hasn't eaten, do a quick reheat of the pink and put it back, then cover the deli cup with a dish towel or T-shirt or whatever. Set a timer and check him in about 30 minutes. If he _still_ hasn't eaten, I'd repeat, and leave him for an hour, and then, if he hasn't eaten, just try again in four days, with no handling- same method.

But generally, they just eat.

Back