• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

exo terra desert large heat pad

wrensong

my adult corn is now in a 40 gallon breeder tank with a 75 watt red night light and 100 watt basking lamp. the hot side gets to 82 degrees during the day, and the cool side 72 during the day--night time i keep the red light on-- the temp drops at night to 72 hot side, 68 cool side. i was worried that this temperature is too cool at night, so today bought the uth. i'm a little bit afraid that it will burn my snake, even tho the salesman said it was only 25 watt and may not even be warm enough! im tempted to just plug it in at nighttime,leaving it off during the day. any thoughts? i have a good 2 1/2 in. of substrate.thanks!

also, is there a way to, and should i regulate the temperature? there was nothing on the pad itself to do this...sorry if i sound dumb about this!

The Desert UTH will get hot enough to burn your snake when he sits directly on it, unless you have it regulated with a Thermostat. The Alife thermostat is relatively inexpensive. It doesn't matter how much substrate you have or what you put over it- the snake can burrow down to it. As a short-term fix, you can completely cover it with a ceramic tile, but check the temp directly on the tile after if heats up.

I _do_ like this UTH a lot, though. You need a thermostat with any heating device.

thank you nanci- it's unplugged, and i've ordered the thermostat. i'm learning! i've been taking care of "tallulah" now for the past 6 months or so- my 17 year old son lost interest in her,she's in my room now, and to my surprise i really like her, and i want to make her happy and comfortable. i've also gotten a couple of books on corns.

Snakes are the best! So relaxing. You should try sitting down with her and watching a TV show in the evening and just petting her. Great for lowering your blood pressure and reducing stress!

i know 100% more about snakes than i did 7 months ago--she was in my son's room for 5 years, and i really didnt pay much attention and really didnt want to touch her-UNTIL i saw he was neglecting her and wanted to get rid of her---so, i started to care for her on a more regular basis. i hold her(yes, very relaxing)and im not hesitant anymore, but i feel a little akward holding her, so i sit on the floor and she stays on me a little and i let her roam a little--she likes to be on the rug- i think she likes the attention. so, i think i understand how this heating pad works now- im putting it on the cool side set to75.and the lights on the warm side are ok i think. i'll see how that works. have a good day!

Back