• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Exo terra Snake Cave Moss

DinoNeill

Must learn Parseltongue!
I have the large exo terra snake cave and my snakes really like the moss factor, I was wondering what one would do to get replacement moss. I assume it wouldn't be a good idea to just collect moss from the wild...would it? (don't want to have vivarium contamination). I suppose I could just use aspen shavings as a bedding instead (I don't like filling the whole tank with aspen because it's usually impossible to tell if the snake voided or not). On a further note, how would you sterilize sticks and driftwood from outside? Boil/bleach it? I'm curious on techniques the professionals here use.

I'm not sure about the moss, but I do know you can boil wood, and bake it in the over for like 45 mins on 400 degrees to kill off any nasties, and dry it out. I've heard people microwaving some for a few minutes, too.

You can buy sphagnum moss from most garden centers and can order it off the internet (which is what I do). Just make sure you get one that is free from fertilizers. Usually the cheapest can be had from orchid supply companies, those that are marketed for pets usually have quite a price increase.

Although for simplicities sake, I'd just use aspen in there. Although, most of the aspen I put in my snakes' hides usually end up shoved out, so I don't even bother anymore. They seem to like the smooth bottomed stuff. Which is why they get under their hides and shove all of the bedding out of the way.

You don't cover the cage bottom completely in aspen? Why not? It's pretty easy for me to see when my snakes have pooped. I just drag my hand around in there until I feel a clump and remove it and small bit of what was around it. Pretty straightforward.

For rocks and smaller sticks (that can fit in a soup pot) I just boil them for 30 mins or so. For larger sticks/bark pieces, I bake them in a 150-200 degree oven for an hour or two. Although do make sure to keep a close eye so that edges don't start smoking if they're too close to the elements.

I wouldn't bother collecting moss from outside, the potential for bringing in bugs and such would be too much to fuss with, imho.

Back