• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

falling corns

serpentina

What the deuce???
Although I am very careful while holding my corn, sometimes he likes to hang out on the lip inside his viv right near the top where the cover is. I try not to bother him when he is cruising around the lip (it's actually kind of funny to see) sometimes I have to take the cover off to feed or give fresh water. I'll just let you know he does this a lot :shrugs: (The crawling on the lip near the top thing) Getting to my question now... Twice he has fallen while I was lifting off the cover. It was only a 8 inch fall or so to the bottom of the cage, but he always seems to land on one of his plastic hides. Could he get injured this way? Should I not be bothering him during this time? I'd hate to waste his dinner because I can't get him out properly. Anyone else ever had this problem? I am using a 20 gal glass aquarium with a metal mesh lid like you find in most all pet stroes.

there are quite a few posts on this if you do a search...it's very common... my snakes used to climb up there all the time ...my snow is trying to do it right now as a mater of fact ...to get him down i used to blow at him, on my other tank i tried filling the lip with silicone...it did not work at all so i scraped all the silicone off ... i went to the hardware store and got some 1/2 inch weather stripping it has helped so far i haven't seen my snakes up there although they still try...good luck

I did a search before I posted and didn't find much, just about falls from holding while standing and such. What would you suggest I search under? I already tried falls and falling.

Try climbing or something like that. As far as falling, I wouldn't worry about it. They are pretty tough critters and a short fall like that is probably one they take all the time without you even being aware of it. Go about your business as normal and feed him if you want.

My king snake has done this for the whole time I've had him. Though it's worrisome to me, he hasn't injured himself yet.

A snake's light a flexible body can take a surprising amount of punishment before showing any true damage. Not saying you shouldn't be careful, but snakes are more resilient then most of us give them credit for. I've heard of people who have has snakes in drawers that got squished between the drawer wheels and looked aweful flat for a while before returning to their regular shape with no ill effects. A short fall like that won't hurt your snake.

Back