• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Fat lady Hasn't Sung yet!

northwestcorns

Well, the resilience of these snakes is always amazing to me. After I logged off, and before bed, I decided to take another look at Jewel. I couldn't believe it, she was SHEDDING!

I dampened her papertowels with sterile saline, washed and sterilized my hands, and wet them with sterile saline. I then reached in and let her use me to help her shed. Which she did with enthusiasm.

I just kept a firm pressure and her skin began to come off. The skin along her back was slimey and brown, but it was attached to the skin on her flanks and belly. It wasn't all in one piece, but it's all off now. The skin underneath is pink and healthy looking. As soon as she was done, I let her soak in bath of lukewarm water while I scoured her home. I gave her fresh water and scrubbed down her hide. After putting in fresh, clean paper towels, I let her move through a slightly damp papertowel to get any additional slimy back skin off and then I sprayed her with more Neosporin spray. I put her in her house and put the lid back on.

She's not twitching any more. She looks good.

So everyone, I definitely DON'T give up on these guys. Jewel is going to get every opportunity in the world and I will continue to spritz her with neosporin, provide her with fresh water, and provide her with food items.

Jewel isn't signing off yet. Whooo Hoooo!

Wonderful. I've been following with high hopes, Shelley. Yay!

I know you are content and beginning to exhale a little, hunh?!

Lennycorn's snake was burned really bad. Under the hot water heater or something. She was lost and looked horrible when he found her. He said it would get worse before it got better. Seems like yours is turning around faster than his did.

Good to hear that Jewel is doing better.
I posted in your other thread a few links of lenny burns so that you can see what he when through. On the first post check out page four too.
That is when it got worse before if got better. So keep that in mind.

Keep us posted.

YAY Jewel! :dancer: I am glad to hear that. I have been following your other thread.

Did I missed it? Did you find out what caused this to happen?

See I told you she would get better. I'm so happy that you didn't have to put your girl down now hopefully she'll start eatting soon and she get even better.

Thanks everyone!

This morning I gave Jewel a tiny pink. She seemed VERY interested when I fed the babies in the nursery. She immediately started to eat the pink (prior to her injury, she was eating large weanling mice). However, an hour later I came in and she was still stuck in the same spot on the pink. I just checked again, and she spit it out.

Any thoughts? She seemed so keen.

forgot to mention, these were f/t. Should I wait a day or so and then try a live one? Ms Love told me in a private email, that she needs to eat, especially if she sheds, due to the need for nutrients and energy.

This is wonderful news! I am keeping my fingers crossed that she pulls through.

Sometimes when snakes are dehydrated they have a hard time swallowing (shedding and injury can cause dehydration). Its possible that she was just having a hard time creating enough saliva to get it down. I am not sure if there is a way to make a pink easier to slide down. Butter? (jk dont do that LOL!)

Well, maybe not butter (although I could argue that it's an animal byproduct, so maybe...) but what about the oil/moisture from a can of tuna? Everyone talks about smearing tuna juice on a pinky for reluctant eaters, so if it's oily enough, it might work. ???

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
I'm delighted to hear she's improving! Jewel is lucky to have such a caring owner.

Jewel ate a pink AND drank some water for what seemed like forever! I'm going to leave her alone for a few days. I'll update everyone as things go.

Oh I'm so pleased, we've been following your story since you put it up and have been so worried about little Jewel. Glad she's doing ok. And it's amazing to hear that she's eating too, well done you've cared for her really well and she's obviously showing you that you've done exactly the right thing for her all along :)

Back