• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding adult corns

NinaCaliente

We've had Pandora for a couple weeks now. Not sure how old she is, but she is 4+' long and weighs 650g. The reptile shop we purchased her from advised us to feed her one adult mouse per week. However, when I looked up the Munson plan, I noticed that the plan recommends that snakes of her size be fed "jumbo adults" which are almost twice the weight of normal adult mice. Is that recommendation for maintenance?

What size prey items do you feed to your snakes of similar size, and how frequently? I don't want to underfeed her, but I don't want to make her overweight either. If it matters, I have no plans to breed her.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Pandoraincave.jpg

Well, you might start by offering her one regular adult one week, two the next, and see what happens to her weight. What does she look like at the base of her tail- does she have "hips?" If so, I'd stay conservative on the feedings. If she's at all thin, I'd alternate one and two mice for a few weeks and see what happens. I'm leery of Jumbos, that's what got Maizey started regurging and he has never stopped. Even Big Jake, 1100+ grams, eats regular mice, two one week, three the next, and he's growing on that diet.

My snake is over 5' long, approximately 10 years old. She will eat 2 mice or small rat a week, but then she will stay in her hot side hide for 4-5 days digesting. For the past 6 months I have been feeding her one small to medium mouse each week. She now digests for 1-1.5 days. It seems to be a better feed schedule, and she is a little more active, but not hunting like she needs more. I sometimes modify that by waiting a few extra days but occasionally she acts like she is in hunting mode after that.

She doesn't have much for hips, but she's not overly thin either. I fed her a single regular mouse today (the second feeding since she's been with us). Next week I might see if she'll take two, and how she responds. Thanks for the advice! :)

Back