• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

feeding amount and vision questions

mazzy

hello! i have two questions:

1. i've had my corn snake since august. the pet store said she was 3 months old when i bought her. (i suspect she was younger, though, judging from pictures i've seen. it's kind of hard to tell.) regardless, i've been feeding her one pinky ever 5-7 days. she's grown more in length than she has in width, so it's difficult for me to judge what i should feed her based on width assessments. i've tried her on two pinkies before and i know she'll eat them. should i up the amount i'm feeding her? she's grown quite a bit longer, and a bit bigger around. i don't have measurements but could take them if necessary.

2. when i first got her i was advised to cover at least three sides of the viv to prevent overstimulation. i used some scarves and such and have basically kept them on there. i'd like to get some plain contact paper so i don't have to remove anything every time i open the viv. are snakes more sensitive to certain colors? does it matter what color contact paper i get or are there some i should avoid? is it best to keep three sides of the viv covered or can i only do the back? she get's kind of freaked by her reflection when i remove the scarves.

thanks!
andrea

Yeah feeding her 2 pinkies is good, until she is noticably able to handle more food. You can tell that by the bulg in the snakes tummy, or if she just ate and is pretty active.

I don't think snakes respond to colors, however I am not an expert on that, I have not read anything that says they do.

Hatchlings are just pretty shy in nature and calm down as they get older. I don't think the color really matters, I think you should get something that you like. :)

Krenna said:
Yeah feeding her 2 pinkies is good, until she is noticably able to handle more food. You can tell that by the bulg in the snakes tummy, or if she just ate and is pretty active.

I don't think snakes respond to colors, however I am not an expert on that, I have not read anything that says they do.

Hatchlings are just pretty shy in nature and calm down as they get older. I don't think the color really matters, I think you should get something that you like. :)

thanks, krenna. i've noticed that one pinkie doesn't create much of a bulge and she's begun to digest it more quickly. two pinkies per feeding will probably hold her for a while.

i didn't think the color was a big deal, i just figured i'd check. i feel like it would be better to have three sides of the viv covered, so i'll see what i can find.

I have my snakes on green woodchips. I don't think they even see in color. Anyway see my profile pic. There pretty sure theire invisible anyway :D

True snakes feel more happy in a confident enclosure. If possible, handle the snake from the side of the viv. Not the top. They'll think your a bird of prey or another predator. So i prefer to have something at the back of the viv, and cover up most on the top. Just be carefull not to cut of air circulation or for fire if you use lightbulbs.
I've never heard of someone who thought it nessasary to also cover the sides of the viv but it definately can't harm the snakes. Some snake owners prefer to keep them in wooden vivs with only glass at the front.

Back