• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding and Handling My Corn

CJzinSpain

Cjz Tatoo
Hi,
I havent posted for a good while now because not been having any problems at all with my new corn. When I bought it I thought it was a bit skinny, but now 4 months on its growing like hell! This corn will eat as much as I put in the cage and once hes eaten the baby mouse I put in he starts searching for more! Is this normal? Should I give him another one? Or should I keep control of his diet and do the usual once a week feeding?
Hes gotten a lot bigger in 4 months hes gone from pinkies to full grown baby mice (3-4 week old mice) So thats so good news!

Another question should anyone be able to help, I had to go away for a while so I left the snake in the care of my brother, who is not a big fan of snakes, so he did the basics, fed it and kept the water clean etc. But he has not handled it, I am a fairly new keeper of snakes even though I had one years ago, I am back to being a begginer, now, basically since he has not been handled for a few months he now gets quite nervous i guess is the word, if i so much as touch him ever so slightly he wisks his head around and in defensive position. I personally dont feel to confortable with that even though I know his bite wont do me any harm, Is there any way of re-taming him again or am i gonna have to b brave and grab him and wait till he calms. I picked him up yesterday from behind his head, but his body started goin g all over the place and i had to let him go! Any advice guys please? Thanks

Just persevere with the handling and he'll calm down again. You just need to stick with it and he should calm down in time. Best not to handle for a day or two after a feed though. Try and let him see you coming and not surprise him too much when picking him up may help.

Feeding, most corns are once a week on a mouse slightly bigger than the widest part of his body. Yours is still quite young so maybe every 6 days instead would be OK.

Also, I presume you feed in a separate container (by the sound of it, your brother might not have been). If not he'll be associating the hand in the tank with food and getting excited about it, which won't help with the handling.

I'm sure other on here will have their own opinions.

With mine, I feed every 4 or 5 days at hatchling stage through to every 7-10 days as adults, again keeping the size of the food item matched to the size of the snake.

Back