• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

feeding and shedding for the first time

mazzy

well, the first time since i've had her, anyway.

i was planning on feeding my 3 mo old corn for the first time since i've had her today. i defrosted a pinkie in warm water (in a plastic bag) and took her out to put her in the feeding box. but it looks like she's going to shed. she's very pale and her colors are muted. i can't tell much difference in her eyes but they're red and i read that it can be harder to tell with red eyes.

so my questions are:
-should i try to feed her anyway?
-if not, can i put the defrosted pinkie back into the freezer?
-how long should i wait until i feed her after a shed?
-what percentage should the humidity in the tank be?

and, on a totally different note, what should i use to clean out the water bowl? i've been using dish soap? if i get some plastic plants, should i clean them before putting them in the tank and if so with what?

You would be fine to try to offer her food anyway - some snakes will eat at any time, some are much more fussy and will never eat in shed mode. I always offer food to all my snakes at feeding time, I just don't get upset when some of them don't eat it.

No, I would not refreeze a defrosted pinkie. This is not good practice, just as you should never refreeze food for human consumption. Throw it away.

How long you wait after a shed is up to you. For myself, if they refuse food before a shed they have to wait until the next feeding time to get offered food again. This can be anywhere from 5 days to 10 days depending on the age of the snake. If I had a snake in poor health or too thin, then I would offer food straight after the shed.

The humidity should be sufficient to allow the snake to shed with the skin in one piece. If the shed is broken then you know your humidity is not sufficient for shedding. Beware that too high humidity can lead to skin problems and other issues.

I use Nolvasan which is a disinfectant for cage and cage furniture cleaning. A mild (10%) bleach solution is also fine (let is soak for 15-20 minutes in either solution). I would clean any new thing before I put it into the cage.

Skye

Skye said:
You would be fine to try to offer her food anyway - some snakes will eat at any time, some are much more fussy and will never eat in shed mode. I always offer food to all my snakes at feeding time, I just don't get upset when some of them don't eat it.

i'm trying to feed her. she's in the feeding tank under a papertowel with the pinkie right on top. i get the feeling she's not interested (or maybe she doesn't know it's there??) so if she doesn't try to eat in a little while i'll put her back and throw out the mouse.

Skye said:
How long you wait after a shed is up to you. For myself, if they refuse food before a shed they have to wait until the next feeding time to get offered food again.

well, this is my first time trying to feed her so i don't have a set schedule. i'll see how it goes.

thanks for the nolvasan recommendation. is that only sold online or is it availble at pet stores?

Skye said:
Skye

Skye,

I totally agree with all the advice you gave Mazzy. I am fortunate not to have a fussy snake. S/he will eat and show signs of going into shed the next day. After her shed she seems very outgoing and I usually give her a day or two before offering food. As a matter of fact Ren shed August 20 (just yesterday) and I will offer him/her some food tomorrow.

It all depends on the snake Mazzy...only trial and error will let you know how your snake feels about being fed before and after shed.

Back