• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding behavior

jonnyw

Hi all, not a problem just curious. For the first two months my corn was really gentle with his food but recentley he has become alot more aggresive. About five feeds ago he started striking the pinkie and for the last two feeds he has coiled aswell. This doesn't bother me in anyway shape or form I was just wondering why the sudden change in behavior? Is he just more confident now? Its pretty cool to watch :)

PS. I would just like to thank nanci for a post in somebody elses thread about slitting the pinkies back and sides this definately speeds up / helps digestion.

You should have seen my snakes when I first started slitting mice. They went CRAZY!!! Now they're used to it. And I don't slit for adults any more.

I love it when, after the snake takes the pink, you can wiggle it around. Then they try so hard to "kill" it! I have a keys corn (Keme) that stays coiled for 10 or 15 minutes before he decides his dead mouse (weanling) is dead. So funny!

Haha it could well be because ive started slitting, didnt even think of that. Kinda weird but I would like to feel how hard he squeezes the mouse without the biting of course lol .

I wonder how much age comes into play, & maybe that they're hitting a growth spurt, & just in a food crazy stage. I have noticed a few of my juvies become food agressive, all are about 2 yrs old.
I can think of about 6 juvies off the top of my head that are food aggressive right now.

I generally only slit prey for hatchlings, & sometimes females recovering from laying eggs.

My little guy is about is about 5 months old but he had feeding problems when he was younger so hes only small and still on pinks the weight is flying on now tho, it was tuna scented pinks that got hom feeding but I managed to wean him off tuna and now he just takes slitted pinks. Roughly how much would a 5 month old usually weigh? I know individuals vary but just a ball park figure woukd be great.

This is stewie when I fed him yesterday
picture.php

Great picture btw nanci, i also filmed a recent feeding and the strike was so fast i could hardly see it when i watched the recording. Scary but good fun, cant wait til hes all grown up, Ive read that some corns have ripped the mouse in half when striking at it!!!

I don't know if mine strike or not, I never watch them, I know several don't b/c they are trying to get the mouse before I get them in the bathroom where it's safe and quiet from the cats.

My 3 month (appx) snakes are averaging 15 gms. Not sure if that helps with 5 months though b/c soon, if you haven't, he will be eating double pinks. I gave mine double last night, they all took them, I hope I dont run into trouble.

Thanks kathy stewie was 15g before I fed him 2 days ago so next feeding I mite try double. He didnt eat for the first two months of his life so hes abit behind on weight. Hes a greedy little monster now tho lol

My snakes all ate 2 pinkies the other night and they seem to be doing fine. They were all 14-15 gms. The chart says 16 so I probably should have waited til next feeding but I think they are all good.

I have one that didn't eat for 3 months! She was so strong when I got her too. I can't imagine a baby going 3 months with no food. She ate for me, thankfully b/c I love her. She will be behind but that's ok. Like people say to me, there is no need to rush their growth.

My baby is 4 months old at weighing in at 18 grams to give you more data. I've had her for a little over 2 months and no feeding problems at all.

Thanks willderphil, are you feeding double pinks now? Is so when did you step up and how did it go?

i would recommend double pinkies since your little guy didnt eat for awhile, and this will help him put on some weight and keep it on. my hatchling was so tiny and underfed when i got her that i right off bat started her on double small pinkies, then went to double large pinkies, then onto peach fuzzies, etc. ive never had any problems with her eating. i wouldnt call double pinkies powerfeeding, just efficiently feeding. if hes underweight, this will really help him catch up to the size he should naturally be, then soon hell be ready to move onto peach fuzzies/fuzzies.

I'm actually jealous. I can't get mine to constrict no matter what I do. I play tug of war with Nyx and she pretty does the same thing my dog does, goes limp and waits for me to let go ahahaha.

it is awfully cute when they act like its a life or death struggle with a limp dead mouse haha. both of mine strike and coil. i sometimes give them a challenge by not letting them grab the mouse at the first try, and moving it around like its "trying to get away". they look so frustrated and when they finally get it they coil extra hard, and sometimes ill wiggle the tail too to give them the sensation that the mouse is "struggling". i figure it gives them some mental stimulation, and cant hurt. other times i routinely do the zombie mouse dance, then leave them alone once theyve struck and coiled.

Thanks guys, I have two pinkies thawing right now, the last of my small ones, im pretty confident all will go well "knock on wood" lol. And I agree its pretty cute watchin him trying his best to kill a dead mouse haha.

My first corn snake I have he see his pinkie's and he goes and eats it not striking it or nothing he eats 2 medium pinkies and he is growing fast. ;)

You might want to wait 1-2 more feedings before going double. I did end up with 1 regurge, so I'm now thinking better to wait just a bit longer. It's hard to say, I only had trouble with one and the others were ok.

I have one who is way behind on weight too, she was 3 months old when I got her and she ate. I need to start slitting pinks I guess. Maybe it would help my non-feeders I'm working with to eat mice.

Back