• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding & behaviour?

Fauna

Hey all,
My new boy, Shiro-who's age I don't know- got fed today. I feed on Mondays, this is only the second time I've fed him.

With clean hands, I tried to reach in and grab him, making sure he knew I was there and such, he stuck. He didn't get me, because I pulled away, but I let him calm down and then got him out.
I put him in the clean sink-where I've been feeding him- and dropped in the pinkie I had thawed out for him. He hit as soon as the pinkie hit the sink. It only took him about two minutes to get the pinkie down, maybe less. After that he started sniffing the bit of blood that had come out of the pinkie and then got into a striking position and made a biting motion towards me-no lunge though-. I finally got him back in his tank and now he's hiding. Poor baby is stressed from the ordeal. :(

I was just wondering if he was testy because he's hungry and if I should go from pinkies to fuzzies? Any tips/suggestions?

(just realised I accidentally posted this in the misc. discussions so I'm reposting here now!)

x-Misty

I'd honestly like to know the answer to this too, my baby has been extremely agitated these last few days and I was hoping to know if it was because instead of feeding him on Friday like normal we were going to feed him on Tuesday (because we will be out of town until sunday). My guess would be yes he's hungry but I'm curious what an expert has to say on this.

74d768f3c70b29237c400aee45e18924.jpg
5f607a5330712f28540382c3cf36570c.jpg
r

This is him, he's was loving this morning and enjoying being handled. His tank is at about 82 degrees.

x-Misty

So, I asked my aunts husband, who keeps snakes and he feeds his corn, who's smaller than my boy, two pinkies, but said the fuzzies might be too big for Shiro still and suggested I also just use two pinkies until about two more sheds. I trust him, I just would like to hear other people's input as well.

x-Misty

Best thing to do is get a scale that weighs out in grams. Most of us feed based on the weight of the snake and either use the Munson plan or a modified version of it. Without the weight of the snake I wouldn't give you a definitive answer on whether to move up in feeder or not.

Thats how I feed too, based on weight and a modified Munson plan. I was just curious if he was cranky cause we were waiting a few extra days to feed due to our vacation.

Possibly. My adult acts a bit strange when I am a day late with his feeding. Like at the moment he pushed a huge area of aspen from around him and has his head propped up on the litter dam, every time I walk past his head pops up. he knows his mouse is on his plate thawing, and as soon as I open his door he's going to come out ready for it.

Could you link me to a Munson plan? I have a scale and will weigh him as soon as I get home and post what it is![emoji4]

x-Misty

http://www.bhbreptiles.com/main.aspx?Page=feedchart

This is the more aggressive version, I usually will wait to move mine up to the next size after a few grams higher then the minimum. I would rather feed slightly smaller prey then ones that are too big for the snake.

Disclaimer: the above link goes to a site with snakes for sale, I am not affiliated with them, this isn't an endorsement or anything. Just where I found the plan after Medusa's site went offline.

Back