• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding charts for bulls/milks??

KatLaz

So for the few of you that saw my photo thread in the gallery of all my new snakes, you might know that I just got a male bull snake and a male honduran milk. The bull snake is at 180g right now, and the milk snake is at 109g.

For those of you who have experience with either of these snakes, what would you recommend I feed them right now? I'm thinking the bull gets 1 adult mouse every 7 days or so and the milk a weanling every 6-7. Does that sound about right?

Does anyone know if there is a sample feeding chart (like the Munson one) for either of these snakes?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks! Oh yes... I got my bull snake while in blue, and he still hasn't shed, so should I wait to feed him after his shed?

There isnt one, I would just feed once a week as your snake grows larger amp of the food to small rats.
I go with the 1.5 width rule on that one. I feed my largest Gopher either XXL rats or 1.5 pound Rabbits.
She is over six feet and solid muscle. Just do a search on Selu.

Sounds like solid fat....lol.

Don't raise a bull like you can (but shouldn't) a gophersnake. On the bullsnake, don't feed it a meal that leaves a noticeable bump until it is at least 3' in total length. Young bulls (and yours isn't so small that it screams "be careful) - this applies mainly to neonates - are very sensitive to chronic regurg syndrom if fed too much. They actually thrive on smaller meals (no noticeable bump!) every 5-7 days. Be extremely careful if you offer them food more often than that. I suggest feeding it appropriately sized rats from the start. Some can be VERY difficult to switch from mice to rats, so we recommend feeding rats from the START and avoiding the entire switiching problem. It is easier to feed a baby bullsnake a smallrat pink than to feed an adult bullsnake 6 adult mice at a time......lol.
KJ

I agree with KJUN here. Most of my bulls will eat whatever you give them, if its too big they will regurge. I try to start on rats also because they will need rats as adults. Great post KJUN!

I have had a few sonoran gophers (very close relatives) that instinctivly go off feed in the winter but then make it up in the spring/summer so don't go crazy if the bull doesn't want to eat regularly. My albino in particular will only take a mouse every 6 weeks or so from oct to march (I offer weekly) but will take 2 or 3 at a clip the rest of the year and he has never been brumated in his life (I raised him from a hatchling, currently almost 3'). yet i have a normal/het albino sonoran that sits in a tank directly under him,same age and raised in the exact same conditions,same temps ect that is my garbage disposal. I feed him last with all the leftovers from the non feeders that i defrosted and has enthusiasticly taken 4 mice at a meal a few times and has yet to refuse a meal for me in over 3 years, even when deep in the blue, he is considerably bigger but the albino isn't underweight at all so I just accept it as his thing.
Just thought I would pass on a little of my personal experiences with some animals the pit genus.

Thanks for the help guys.
I think I may try to start him on rats for now. The friend I got him from was feeding him 1 adult mouse every 7 days or so, I believe. He said he's never had a problem with regurge so hopefully that won't be an issue.

For bulls/milks of that size (they're both about 3 feet), how often would you recommend feeding? Once a week? Once every two? My bull is almost out of shed... eyes just cleared up last night, so I'd like to try to feed him soon. I'm either getting him a small adult mouse or a rat of appropriate size.

Thanks again guys!

Back