• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

feeding chicken?

luciano

Is it possible to feed a corn chicks as a staple diet just like if it were mice (cause I can afford them for a lot less), or is it necessary to include mice?
In case there is a why answer, Are chicks too fatty or something?

They will do fine on a diet of chicks, but be aware of a couple of things:

1) They could develop a taste for them to the exclusion of other things. If you are going to feed chicks, ensure that you have a life-long supply.

2) The snakes feces will be loose and runny. It is usually pretty smelly too. This is something I have noticed with every species I have encountered that is fed poultry.

I feed mine exclusively on chicks with no problems, her feces maybe a bit runny but thats how it has always been. She is a fit as a fiddle.

Cindy said:
I feed mine exclusively on chicks with no problems, her feces maybe a bit runny but thats how it has always been. She is a fit as a fiddle.

Can I feed my snake Jehova's Witnesses?

I`m about to start 1 of mine on chicks.
Noone seems to have a problem with them, and they cost less than 10p each round here.

JGPIPPIN Strange Question?

nut facts

And what about the nutritional facts between mice and chicks, are chicks actually more nutritious than mice or is it pretty much the same deal?
thanx :eek1:

I am not sure about the nutritional value of chicks v mice someone did post a really good chart about the vitimins etc in various food items here not long ago, I will try and dig it up but I sure see no ill effects with my snakes.

Hi Jgpippin, Jehovas witnesses I have yet to try as a food source, but it seems like a very good idea they may be a bit dry and bland though :grin01:

As an alternative feed, chicken serve well. But the fat content in a chicken is much lower. Chicken also is not a good source for some proteins and vitamins. I am not saying that it is a no no to feed chicken, but mice or any rodents are nutrition wise better. If you do want to give your snake a treat, why not try rat babys or young gerbils or hamsters.
But as starwarsdad said: They might not take mice afterwards again. And the feces stink more than smell.

jehova's witnesses...hmm....i might try that next time they come around...... :flames:

Acradon

Nutrition Chart

Here is a chart that gives the general nutrition values for a lot of different whole animals. Unfortunately it does not give vitamin and mineral estimates. You might be able to find some info about that if you look around (if you do I'd love to see it) and be able to use some vitamin supplements to adjust the nutrition of the chick. I just use mice, I don't know about the UK, but over here we can get them shipped easily, so I have a freezer full of mice (and ice cream!)

http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_03.asp

comparing

According to those charts, a day old chick is more energetic and has more protein than an adult mouse. So it might be good to feed corns day old chick cause the protein content might help boost there growth. Just a thought. :shrugs:

Back