• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding during shed in regards to metabolism

Laurelhach

My corn is currently blue, and I know she'll eat during shed if offered.* My question is whether or not it is better to wait for any metabolic reasons? Does the energy needed for digestion affect the shed cycle? By the time blue rolls around, has the energy for creating a new dermal layer already been expended?
This isn't a problem, I'm really just curious and haven't found any information on it.

*After all I'd read about corns not feeding during shed, I was surprised when she Did Not Care.

tumblr_ol9p8xWgD31ryfpsio1_400.gif

There's no reason to wait or feed during a shed cycle for metabolic reasons. Snakes have unique metabolism's where they expend very little energy to survive so there is no value, metabolic or otherwise, to offer food during a shed cycle.
As explained many times on here, some snakes will feed and some wont while in "blue". As caregivers of our snakes it is up to us not to do anything that could harm them. We don't recommend feeding during the shed cycle due to possible regurges. A snake must expand and contract their bodies to separate and remove the old skin. If there is a food item in their belly that is to large then they cannot proceed with the shedding process and they will regurge it. Now most snakes if fed during the first or blue phase will digest enough or all of it to where it is not an issue. If a snake is fed in the second or clear phase then the possibility of a regurge is more likely. So feeding during a shed cycle comes down to a matter of timing. This info is critical with hatchlings. A hatchling that regurges has a lower chance of surviving it compared to a yearling and adult.
Most reptiles are opportunistic eaters. They will eat as much as possible to store fat for the times that they might go weeks or even months without a meal.
Just because it can and will eat doesn't mean it should just like I'm fighting the urge to get a late night snack as a type this Haha :)

I always explain it to people like this: think about what the blue snake would be doing in nature. Hiding away, waiting to shed. It's very, very rare to see one out and about. You only find them at all by flipping. If "nature" tells snakes to hide away and rest, not go out hunting, it makes sense to me to not offer food during that time period.

Of course, especially with older snakes, many will eat while blue and usually there is no harm. We do see regurges in hatchlings with some regularity when they are fed while blue.

Some people avoid shipping when a snake is blue.

I've almost never had a male refuse to mate while blue!

Back