• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding enough?

J.T.Cosmo

My Amel corn is 21 weeks old, and 18 inches long. Not sure about wieght as scales are broken. He has been on fuzzies for 5 weeks and has no problems with them, only 1 refusal cos he was in shed. Last feed was Friday 30th march at midday. Normally once hes eaten i dont see much of him as hes busy hiding. I noticed early friday evening he was out and about cruising his tank , his bump wasnt really as noticable as others have been. Saturday was the same with him being pretty active and that evening. He came out on sunday night for a while and he hasnt pooed yet that i have seen. i was told when i got him i should feed him for 8weeks on fuzzies ,the last 1 make it 2 then move him on to the next size. i just wondered if that was the correct information. This week he does look fuller than before.

Well you pretty much have to judge it yourself, if the fuzzies are not making much of a lump see of you can find some larger fuzzies or small hoppers and use your own judgement as to whether they are too big. Remember 1.5X the widest part of the snakes body is the agreed upon maximum. Or you could try a fuzzy and a pinky, rather than taking it up to two fuzzies because often two of anything is really a bigger meal than just going with the next size. Maybe some pics would help ;)

---Kenny

Cheers.

That sounds like a plan. I think i will try slightly bigger fuzzies as he seems to eat the others pretty fast. I forgot to say that he gets fed once a week on a friday. Is that enough, i've read other peoples stuff and it seems to vary.

now i wonder if i'm feeding enough

So, our corn snake was about 2 mo old when we bought her on 1/27/07.
Been feeding 2-3 pinks about every 4/5 days- bought a frozen fuzzy and it seems huge! What is the typical age a corn should go on fuzzies? She seems to be satisfied with her meals right now.
(and I did check- the fuzzy is a mouse)

Once a week is fine. Most people shoot for once every 5-7 days.

Don't be worried about sticking to the rule one fuzzy for 8 weeks then two fuzzies...blah blah. Those kind rules are fairly abitrary and used by people to generalize to every snake that they sell to a customer. Snakes are dynamic and they don't all grow at the same rate, so they don't all follow the same feeding schedules.;) I would follow the advice that DogStar gave.

dustinsmom said:
So, our corn snake was about 2 mo old when we bought her on 1/27/07.
Been feeding 2-3 pinks about every 4/5 days- bought a frozen fuzzy and it seems huge! What is the typical age a corn should go on fuzzies? She seems to be satisfied with her meals right now.
(and I did check- the fuzzy is a mouse)

It's more about the snake's size than age. If it can handle several pinkies, it should be able to handle a small fuzzy. Fuzzies come in a range of sizes depending on the supplier. In other words, there is no one particular size of fuzzy. If I know I need a small fuzzy for a snake then I ask the pet store clerk for a "small fuzzy".

Cosmo was 12 weeks when we got him and we started him on fuzzies 2weeks later on advice from someone who has a corn. I can only suggest tha t searching other threads will help as im a complete novice myself.

Back