• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

feeding in the blue stage

ninasnake

my corn is blue! for the first time in my care.

His eyes are not that coudy yet, just a hint of milkiness. his body is very dull and milky

His feeding time is tommorow. Should I feed him?

I wet him twice a day. should I do it more?

He is just hiding in the cool spot, not bathing or anything

I have a moist hide too, but i have not observed him going there. maybe he does not like it... I wetted paper towels as i dont have moss.

thanks
n.

Let him do his thing... You have done as much as any 'good' corn owner can do.. If he wants to feed he will, try him. If he feeds , great. If he doesn't don't worry. Just try after the shed.....And stop panicking... ;)..LOL

my corn is blue! for the first time in my care.

His eyes are not that coudy yet, just a hint of milkiness. his body is very dull and milky

His feeding time is tommorow. Should I feed him?

I wet him twice a day. should I do it more?

He is just hiding in the cool spot, not bathing or anything

I have a moist hide too, but i have not observed him going there. maybe he does not like it... I wetted paper towels as i dont have moss.

thanks
n.

*Most* of my corns are ok with eating when "in blue," but I have a couple that I will not feed when "in blue" because I know from past experience that they'll regurge...I guess it's up to you: you could try feeding, or just wait until after the snake sheds (it won't hurt the snake to wait a few days!). Occasionally, feeding my snake when "in blue" will prompt the snake to shed. What you could try is feeding the snake a smaller-sized prey item than the snake usually gets (for one yearling snake, because I wasn't sure what to give her & she was "in blue," I gave her a pinky instead of a fuzzy; she ended up shedding the next day).

I don't wet my snakes *unless* they're having trouble with shedding, and I've only done that with one snake out of my 11. All of my snakes have a proper level of humidity already in their vivs, so they don't need extra humidity by wetting them. I also don't have a moist hide in their vivs; their water bowls seem to provide enough humidity, and when the occasional snake needs a little more, s/he will take a dip in the water bowl. :)

As for your snake just lying there: yup, it will. For my students (I teach 2nd/3rd grade...), I liken it to them as when they have a sunburn: their skin feels itchy & the snake just doesn't want to move, and they'll often be cranky & a lot more fidgety. So, I just wait on doing everything, generally, until I see the shed in the tank or I know that the snake will be a successful eater when "in blue."

In my opinion, it's nothing to worry about until after the snake sheds. Hopefully the shed will be complete, with the eye caps & the tip of the tail, and nothing left on the snake's body. After checking the sheds & the snake itself, then I'll feed it. If the shed is incomplete, then I'll run the snake through a damp towel (a towel folded in half with the snake in between). That always helps with removing excess shed. If you're really worried, one trick I use is this (thanks to advice from here!): I put a clay flower pot in my snake's tank, and every other day or so, I'll rinse the pot off to moisten it. The pot sits in my snake's tank above where the UTH is, so it serves as a warm hide most of the time, and a warm/moist hide some of the time. (I chipped out the bottom of the pot, smoothing the rough edges, with just enough space for the snake to slither in & out...my snake loves it!) That has helped a lot with his sheds, which he'd been having problems with long before I got him.
29aug07carameloandfloweex6.jpg

I hope that all of that helps! :)

what a cute face peeking out!

Thanks, that's Caramelo, my adopted problem-shedder. :) I just wish that the photo was clearer! Someday I'll get another one...:) Thanks to that clay flower pot, his shedding has become consistently a lot better...he does much of it on his own now, and it comes out pretty much complete. He adores it. :)

I generally don't feed in blue. Snakes often will eat when blue, but I like to give their digestive system a good rest during the shed process.

No - I don't have any scientific reason for doing so, just a personal preference.

It also lets me weigh them after their shed and get a fairly accurate weight without the weight being thrown off by what they ate recently.

Back