• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding In the Heat

GregF

Is there a danger in feeding in very warm room temperatures? We get heatwaves here a couple of times each summer and our house isn't air conditioned. Yesterday, the room with the viv got up to 92F during the late afternoon-early evening. It was 80 when we got up this morning at 6:30. I would guess that it was over 85 for about 8 hours.

Slithers is at the very end of a regurge protocol and is scheduled to be fed tonight. He's been doing fine for the last 3 weeks and I'd hate to have him backslide. Should I hold off feeding him for a couple of days (it's supposed to "cool off" 4-5 degrees) or is there any other technique I could use?

Thanks.

Actually the heat helps them to digest better. I wouldn't worry, other then he's had a history of regurge! Hope he does ok! :)

A lot of times snakes will refuse to eat if it is too warm. Just make sure he has a big water dish to cool off in if he has the need for it. Otherwise, as long as he eats, I don't think it will be a problem to feed him when it is 90 degrees.

Mark

Since your snake has had regurge issues I'd use caution. Too high, sustained temperatures can trigger a regurge. Is there anyway to cool your room at all? Even with my windows open here in S. Carolina, my snake room rarely gets over 82 degrees.

As it turns out, the temperature broke a little yesterday. That, combined with waiting until about 10:00pm to feed, makes me think that everything will be ok. Slithers ate immediately after being put in his feeding container and has been behaving very normally today. Spent most of the day in his hide and has just come out for a drink of water and some cruising around. Room temperature right now (5:18pm) is 86. I've also misted his viv a couple of times today, because it's so dry here (~20%).

Back