• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding NewBorns

pirate925

my snake eggs just hatched, and this is my first time to have successful hatchlings. so, can someone tell me how long till i feed my new borns?

Welcome to breeding!

I've done it a little differently with each baby. With the first clutch I offered food straight out of the egg but with the 2nd lot I was a little more patient and waited until 2 weeks. A lot of people I've spoken to wait until the hatchlings are about 3 weeks old and then offer food as by then you'd expect the snake to have used up its yolk resources and will be starting to get hungry and will be less likely to refuse, ergo, less wasted pinkie mice (I hate throwing out mice). If you can, try to offer frozen/thawed mice as a first meal so there are no problems with switching from live later on.

Good luck,
A

My preference is a day or two after their first shed.

Not a single non-feeder from 42 hatchlings this year so I'm sticking to it.

:)

here is a pic of my babies. the father is ghost corn, and mother is snow corn.

Attachments

• snake 2.JPG
    snake 2.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 81
Gorgeous little "mess" of hatchlings! According to my corn predictor program, mating a snow to a ghost will produce 100% anery hatchlings het for amel and hypomel, so presumably either the mother is het for hypomel or the father is het for amel, for you to have 50% anery and 50% snow hatchlings? (which is what they look like). Congratulations! :)

It actually looks to me like those are ghosts and anery's. Looks like the snow was het hypo?

jzal8 said:
It actually looks to me like those are ghosts and anery's. Looks like the snow was het hypo?
I agree...anerys and ghosts. snows would be pink/white and have red eyes. The only way to get snows would be if the ghost male was het amel. And the mom is definitely het hypo since you have ghost babies.

Oh ok, didn't notice the eyes, but the color looked pinkish to me like a snow. I had mentioned dad being het for amel to produce a snow, but anyway.... :)

Jessica71 said:
Oh ok, didn't notice the eyes, but the color looked pinkish to me like a snow. I had mentioned dad being het for amel to produce a snow, but anyway.... :)
LOL...it's no problem. There are so many little things to look for that until you are used to it, it can be a little difficult!

Definitely! I've just had my tenth and final egg of my first ever corn clutch hatch this evening - six striped corns and four normals - I'm so happy! When you haven't seen many newborns it can be difficult... when the first striped baby hatched I was confused because it looked so much pinker and less orange than its father, also a striped corn! :)

They definitely change colors a lot as they mature! It's part of what makes them so interesting!

Back