• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

feeding only once in two weeks...

ashlyn

is that true that when your corn is fully grown u can feed him every two weeks? mine is a yearling yet but i'd have like to know if i could do this way when he's adult sized.

Well, grown males can be fed every two weeks, but really it depends on your snake. One of my females a few days ago ate her first meal after three months break. She is healthy, has proper temperature, wasn't bred, wasn't power fed. Just three monts break...

I do that with my big boys. They get fed about every 12 days or so and that keeps them in good condition. I have a snow on that schedule who you could call chubby but even on 1 mouse every 12 or so days, he puts on 10-15g per month, so that's good maintenence.

I also feed my big lad quite sparsely, two adult/jumbo mice every two weeks (sometimes even three weeks if he refuses to eat e.g. during shedding). He's massive, and very healthy.

As a rule Ashlyn, as you increase the size of prey, you also increase the time between feeding. And remember that they can go without food for very long periods without suffering any ill effects.

To give you an idea of Myls, my chubby snow's feeding schedule and weight gain over the last 3 months have a look at this...... he's a 2003 BTW.

JUNE
2 – mouse
20 – mouse

JULY
3 – mouse
18 - mouse

AUGUST
3 – mouse
15 - mouse
29 - mouse

Weight on 1st of:

June= 372g
July= 384g
August= 400g
September= 442g

I weigh in all of my snakes at the beginning of every month. I think the reason he's had such a huge gain in the last month is because he probably hasn't pooped yet after being fed on the 29th of August, so his weight will probably drop by 15g or so when he drops his load!!

Sounds like my amel Princess. He eats one small rat every two weeks and he went from 575 grams on 8/2up to 587 grams on the 8/25. He's around 4 ft. long.

We have only had Nix for about 3 1/2 weeks and she was full grown (or pretty close to it) when we bought her. She ate her first meal fine but wasnt intrested in it last wenesday (which was her second feeding). I know this isnt a long time, but you still worry a bit. We will try again wenesday (which will be a week from last attempt) and hopefully she will be intrested.

Just a question, how long between feedings until you would be worried? Just so I have a timeline. And if things go on a while does anole senting work on a full grown mouse?

She might be due to shed and you just don't know it.

If your snake refuses a weekly offeing for 6 weeks then you can worry!

Adults often enough go off food and a well conditioned adult can go a number of months with no food and no ill-effects.

Thanks a ton! Thats the answer I was looking for. :grin01: She's a snow and since my husband and I are really new we would be able to tell if she was ready to shed unless her eyes clouded over. About how often do adults shed?

She's so funny, she doesnt want the mouse but when my husband makes dinner she comes out of her hide and flicks her tounge all over the place lol I tease him that she would like some garlic (though we obviously would never do that) lol

Back