• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding problem? Need advice.

JeffDenver

Ok, I have a hatchling snake that I just started on double pinks. I fed him tonight and he ate the first pink fine...but the second one he insisted on eating tail first. Will this be a problem?

I did not give it to him head first...I assumed he would maneuver it himself. I assumed wrong. After figuring out that his mouth was not big enough to eat it sideways (he tried to several times), he maneuvered it to the tail and started swallowing it.

I tried to take it back out and reposition it, but he didnt want to let go, and I didnt want to stress him, so I let it go. How serious is this? Is it serious at all? I thought they had to eat head first so the limbs would not catch on stuff on the way through their insides.

On the plus side, he is VERY eager to feed...I dont have to ask him twice. I put the food in front of him and he feeds immediately.

Also, his eyes started going blue. So I dont know if it was a mistake to feed him at all. I was told they dont like to eat before shedding, but he certainly didnt hesitate when offered food. I am starting to think maybe I have been underfeeding him.

If the snake will eat on its own, I would not worry about feeding it when starting to shed.

As for determining if you're underfeeding him, you will need to provide some more information for folks such as approximate age, feeding history of some sort, etc.

He is 12 or 13 grams. I dont know his age, but he is approximately the same size as the hatchlings I see at the pet stores. I typically feed 1 pink every 5 days. Today was the first day I went to doubles (because I could never see a bulge when he ate before, and he always seems so hungry).

I was going to bump him up to fuzzies, but I felt one through the package at the pet store and it seems really big...like maybe too big. All the charts I have seen recommend 1 pink at his current weight.

I have weighed the pinks before, and my scale says 1 gram (it doesnt do fractions of a gram...so it might be 1.5).

Here's a *guide* that helps give you an idea on what when to move them up in feeding:

-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+) See below.

Note: Adult females are fed more frequently than adult males (especially following brumation). Adult females are fed every 7-12 days; adult males are fed every 11-14 days.

This is by no means scientific, and not all corns will cooperate 100% with the schedule. The weight ranges I gave for the prey and snakes are approximate.

Ok...so since my pinks are light, I guess it is still in the right range after all. I should have been feeding him doubles from the beginning.

Ah well, good to know.

Don't worry about them eating butt first, as hatchlings, it't not so much of a problem. They generally figure it out before they get to the furred sized rodents.

Personally, I would recommend holding off on feeding once they show signs of going blue. It won't hurt them to wait, & I know some snakes will regurge if fed while in blue.

Back