• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding Problems

dbouklias

I bought a snow from MoReptiles. She's a angel. She has only eaten for me 5 times since January 21, 2008 when I received her. I have tried everything I can think of to get this girl to eat. I have cut the pinky, I have fed her in the dish she came in, in her cage, in a totally different dish, put lizard scent and real lizard scent on it, washed it. Honeslty the only thing I have not done myself is show her how to eat it. She's only 15g. My normal snake that I got two weeks before her is 53g. He would make 50 of my snow. The thing is she's starting to worry me she is looking thinner and thinner. Although she seems to be staying at 15g she dont look it. She has wrinkled, flabby skin. You can tell she has lost weight. :headbang: Anybody have any ideas. I have tried leaving her alone from feeding to feeding. Nothing has seemed to work. My kids love her. We call her Prissy. they don't want to give her up and neither do I, but she has gone down hill since I received her. I have had her to the vet, he says she might not be long for this place. I can't let her shes not in any pain, no other problems. NOTHING. Please help

First thing, what are the temperatures in your tank? I have quite a few corn's from Mark, and they are amongst the best feeders I have. Sounds like something environmental to me.

The temp. is 80-82 on warm side and 71-73 on cool side. She has plenty of hides. She drinks fine. If you know anything please help, we dont want to lose our little girl. I will post pic's tonight or tmw.

Fenerplayer108 - I am not questioning the breeder at all. If anything I know the problems that can happen with one of your offspring. The only thing this has to do with is saving her. Not anything else!

How long do you leave her alone with the intended feed?
Have you tried heating/warming the pinkie before feeding?
Have you tried live?

oops. Sorry. Yes it has been warmed. When I do get her to eat. It is about half hour to hour after I put her in and the pinky has to be slit. Thats the only way I have gotten her to take it.

I am not sure what else to suggest if all these things have been attempted and temps, etc., are fine.

The only other suggestion is attempting the same thing, more than once, before moving on to trying something different. Also, you should wait 3-5 days between feed attempts (if this is not being done already).

Although I do not like force feeding, it may end up being a need in this situation. That or attempting assist feeding before force feeding.

However, before resorting to these things (assist/force feeding), you mention that you have kids ... Does Prissy receive a lot of attention or get handled a lot? If so, this could be the problem and, perhaps, leaving her alone (no handling, etc.) may rectify the situation. Just a thought.

The only other thoughts, that I have at this moment, (also before resorting to assist/force feeding) is that you could always contact Mark and see how he was feeding her. Perhaps duplicating his feeding method would work (if different from what you have, already, attempted)... or, if Prissy is in a large viv, moving her to a smaller one (with, if made of glass or something similar, covering three sides of it).

Back