• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding quail eggs or chicken eggs?

chin_lee

I have often read about snakes in the wild climbing trees or invading nests to eat their eggs. So my question is it safe to feed eggs to corn snakes? I know at some oriental stores or farms they sell eggs from quails and ducks and of course chicken eggs. Is it OK to feed eggs to snakes?

I don't think the eggs from a store like that is fetilized, so I don't think those would provide proper nutrition to your corn. (I could be wrong though). I know corns eat birds in the wild and you can order quals and possibly chicks from an online breeder. I'm not sure if a corn should eat the actual egg though, what if they crack it while eatting...couldn't that puncture something?

Corns are primarily rodent eaters in the wild, so in captivity, I think mice are the best food. Their digestive systems need fur and bones, so I don't think eggs would give them what they need.

They will eat chicks (as I'm sure they do in the wild), but be warned that this is like pouring Draino down them and results in the runniest, smelliest poops you'll ever have to mop up!

Is a fertilized egg more nutritious than a unfertilized egg? I've thought that the nutritional value of an egg stays the same regardless if its fertilized or not. If its fertilized, the embryo will convert and use the nutrients from the yolk to develope. If its not fertilized, then the nutrient level should remain unchanged.
I've seen many snake documentaries where they swallow the egg whole and the equal pressure seems to keep the egg intact during the swallowing period. I would think the egg shell would also provide a good source of calcium.

oh yeah i forgot

Corns are primarily rodent eaters in the wild, so in captivity, I think mice are the best food. Their digestive systems need fur and bones, so I don't think eggs would give them what they need.

They will eat chicks (as I'm sure they do in the wild), but be warned that this is like pouring Draino down them and results in the runniest, smelliest poops you'll ever have to mop up!
oh yeah I forgot about the poop thing

I've seen many snake documentaries where they swallow the egg whole and the equal pressure seems to keep the egg intact during the swallowing period.

Those are probably going to be egg-eating snakes, which have specific adaptations for swallowing eggs whole. If you watch a Corn, it starts constricting its food as soon as it begins to swallow.

If you have a bird which lays small eggs, no bigger than your corn's head, it is safe as an occasional treat. With the thin-shelled eggs of wild birds, they will be crushed before they are swallowed. You also run the risk of the egg being crushed as it travels through your snake's body, possibly puncturing organs. If you want to feed your snake eggs, I'd recommend turtle eggs or the unwanted/excess eggs of another snake. Since they have soft shells, reptile eggs are totally safe and totally tasty. ;)

Arboreal snakes in the wild are able to safely digest eggs because of the enzymes in their digestive tracts. Their stomach acid is so powerful that it dissolves the eggshell into nutritional calcium, which is very good for a growing snake. You'll notice that when these snakes swallow the large eggs, their jaws unhitch. Most snakes can do this, but not all of them should be doing it to that extent.

When I was a teenager, I used to feed my female robin eggs. They were rampant like fleas all over our neighborhood, and the neighbors didn't mind as long as I left two eggs in each nest. She loved the eggs, especially if they were a day or two away from hatching (which you can determine via candling) but OH MY LORD, was it disgusting to clean up after! It was like what happens to a human after a jar of garlic pickles and a box of raisin bran!

I've seen Black rats invade sparrow nests and clean a nest out, but they are very small eggs, much smaller than a chicken egg. I've also seen a female grab a bird as she came in for a landing, but it's not something that I would feed. Most of the time, corns are on the ground looking for rodents, so I think you are wise to stick to rodents.

Back